CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

help with my 1996 cadillac seville sls

hi everyboy i just baught a 96 cadillac seville sls and the car sat for 2 months because of a bad starter so i went and purchased the car and i just replaced the starter on it and put it back together once the car's battery was fully charged i tried to start the car and it only the motor would spin and would not tun over i also noticed on the dash the security light came on and after cranking the security would come on and then the parking lights would flash every few seconds and the factory remote is not working so does anybody know to turn off the anti thef without using the factory remote or should i just buy a new remote to disengage the security so i can finally start my car please if anybody knows i would really preciate it either email me or just writre back

email= tvscreens_fallindown@yahoo.com

:welcomesmiley:

Can you read the diagnostic codes using the onboard diagnostics as discussed here:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

thanks for the info when i go back to school tomorrow i will do it also one more question if i do this will it turn off the anti theft and let me start my car or do i need to buy a new remote for my caddi cause i really need my car up and running please i also tried to lock the car with the key from the outside then waited to see if the anti theft turned off but it did not so what else can i do besides check the codes ? thanks alot really would preciate it

:welcomesmiley:

Can you read the diagnostic codes using the onboard diagnostics as discussed here:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Not sure what the key/security problem is yet based on your description. Do you know why the remote is not working? May just need a battery, which is a fairly standard watch battery. Just pry the keyfob apart and you can get the number on the battery so you get the right replacement.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

From the sound of it the fob probably needs to be resynchronized with the car. That's on page 9K-5 of the 1997 FSM, and it's simple:

1. Press and hold the TRUNK button and within one second, press and hold the LOCK button.
  2. Continue to hold both buttons for approximately seven seconds and then release.
  3. If the transmitter was out of synchronization, it will now function properly.
I would put a fresh battery in it first just to make sure that the battery isn't the main cause of the problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived