CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Pressure draw down

Phillip

Lately my '96 STS has been taking a few extra cranks to get started. I checked the fuel pressure and I am getting close to 50 lbs, but it quickly drops to zero (in about 1 min). Am I correct in assuming that the only causes (aside from a leak), is a faulty injector or FPR?

A leaky FPR or injector should cause a rich condition and aid in cold starts. I think there is a check valve in the fuel pump that is suppossed to prevent leak down and keep the system pressurised for quick starts. Next time try turning the key on but don't crank for 2-3 seconds. That will allow the fuel pump to pressurize the system if it has leaked down and should start quicker if that is your problem.

Yes it did. The car starts reliably, but the delay start approach does save a few cranks on the starter.

I was recently standed by a "no start" due to the fuel pump. I had it checked at a shop because I couldn't get it to my own garage. The diagnosis was a bad connection to the fuel pump. I think I will jack the car up and take a look. I am waiting to burn some fuel off in case I have to lower the tank.

Thanks for the help.

Could be the pump wire burning out. Typically this problem will happen pretty suddenly, and worsen rapidly. The wire(s) that can burn are inside the tank. Plan on changing the pump and the harness. The tank does have to be dropped on that model.

Latter Cadillacs have a fuel access panel.

The FPR often, often, often fails...and leaks.

As for GM fuel systems. Service manuals will have you believe they can hold pressure all night. Never in the field have I seen one hold for more then 10 minutes or so....most will hold ok for 2-3-4 minutes....with a slow drop. 50 psi in 1 minute is a pretty fast drop and requires another look.

Archived