CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Vehicle Owner's Manual

Marika

Please indicate if you have read your Vehicles' Owner's Manual  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Please indicate if you have read your Vehicles' Owner's Manual

• I have read and comprehended it cover to cover once.
    • I have read and comprehended it cover to cover more than once.
    • I have read sections of it.
    • I have memorized it.
    • Owner's Manual? What's that?

OK. Let's see who's savvy about their Owner's Manual and who needs their "ear pulled"...LOLOL :lol:;)

Obviously, this is a very informal, UNSCIENTIFIC survey but it could be fun to read and participate in it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I hate to admit it, but I read things like the owner's manual and service manuals for pleasure reading...so I've been through mine many times. :) A few days ago, when I was in Savannah on business, I pulled the owner's manual from the rental car up to the room and started surfing through it. Did you know the coolant on a '03 Ford Taurus needs to be changed, the first time, at 50,000 miles, then at 30,000 increments thereafter? :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Did you know the coolant on a '03 Ford Taurus needs to be changed, the first time, at 50,000 miles, then at 30,000 increments thereafter? :)

I take it Ford doesn't use Dex-Cool.... LOL!! ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I take it Ford doesn't use Dex-Cool.... LOL!! ;)

No, Ford owners aren't quite so lucky. They have the expense and hassle of changing their coolant (and their AXN transmissions) every few years. :)

Actually, they apparently have two grades of coolant. It appears that the ones filled with "Ford Gold" coolant need to be changed every 2-3 years, as indicated. This included the coolant in that Taurus, although I did notice it was orange in color. There was also a "Ford Premium" coolant, scheduled to be changed every 100,000 miles or something like that. I don't know the details -- perhaps someone with a newer Ford can fill us in. :)

I don't make it a habit of rereading it but I definately go thru it when I buy the car. Also force my wife and kids to do the same. I also go thru the service manual(s) cover to cover to get a basic idea of how the systems operate and what "makes it tick".

I lied in the poll. I dont know how the RDS or whatever it is works on the radio & I probably never will.

Boy, do I feel better getting that off my chest.

Reading the manual on RDS will make *sure* you are more confused. :P Something to do with setting the clock, or ???? The TA is for "Traffic Announcements", I 'think'. Never heard one traffic report where I live and the RDS won't show anything, even when the radio FM station shows the letters RDS, when it is supposed to show the station 'name' or 'call letters' is what I gathered from the manual. Mashing the set clock buttons do nothing but manual setting of minutes and hours...think it is a worthless option in my area, at least. Anyone else got any input?

Allen C. B)

Hi,

here in Europe RDS is used by nearly all FM stations.

The system is capable of showing messages on the display, like the artist/title on air or the station's name.

It also allows for alternative frequencies, that means the tuned station sends all their frequencies via RDS, and the radio picks the one with the best reception. If conditions change, the radio moves to the then best frequency and so on.

If a traffic message is send (like traffic jam warnings etc) it interupts CD or tape and allows the message, then returns to CD or tape.

Another option is presetting the type of station you want to receive. The stations send a code which identifies them as classic, news, sports or whatever program.

The radio can be set to, say, sports stations.

From my point to view, it is quite helpful, at least over here.

Best,

Stefan

here in Europe RDS is used by nearly all FM stations.

The system is capable of showing messages on the display, like the artist/title on air or the station's name.

Oh, is that what RDS is? My folks have it on their '03 Liberty, but I never knew it was called "RDS". Only two stations here in the area (that we noticed with it) use this technology and it seems "fragile" (dropped letters, delayed display refresh, etc). I don't know if it's caused by "busy" airwaves, or if it's a problem at the transmitter or a problem with the receiver. We also have it on a new '04 Canyon we have at work, but I haven't had enough seat time to see whether it's "better" than the system in my folks' Jeep. I like it though! :)

I pushed that RDS button once. It took me quiet a while to get the radio back to "normal". Never have pushed it since. I don't think we have any RDS stations or whatever it does.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

I never read it cover to cover but I do look up things from time to time.Most things I can figure out with out reading the manual.When all else fails then I will read the manual.. I mostly use the manual to look up fuse numbers and locations..

Jim

I hate to admit it, but I read things like the owner's manual and service manuals for pleasure reading...so I've been through mine many times. :) A few days ago, when I was in Savannah on business, I pulled the owner's manual from the rental car up to the room and started surfing through it. Did you know the coolant on a '03 Ford Taurus needs to be changed, the first time, at 50,000 miles, then at 30,000 increments thereafter? :)

Don't feel bad, I too am addicted to reading technical books. My one bedroom apartment is LOADED with books, at last count, over 2,000 of them. They are mostly science, math, engineering, geology, you name it, and you can throw in an assortment of dictionaries in various languages as well as philosophy, religion etc. Oh yeah, no novels or "love stories" either. I just like to know how things work. I'm curious like a child.

What can I say, I'm nutzzzzz!!! LOLOL!! :lol:

What did you say Marika? Sorry, I wasn't listening, I had my nose in my new Helm manual for my Honda lawn mower. :)

What did you say Marika? Sorry, I wasn't listening, I had my nose in my new Helm manual for my Honda lawn mower. :)

Is that the type of lawn mower you can ride? That's what I want in a vacuum cleaner so I can just ride the thing around my apartment. Fair is fair!!! :lol:

Is that the type of lawn mower you can ride? That's what I want in a vacuum cleaner so I can just ride the thing around my apartment. Fair is fair!!!

Ha! No...I wish. Our lot is only 1/4 acre -- a standard subdivision lot. A rider would have been overkill, although I tried to get a 20-yearold 10-hp Craftsman rider from my father-in-law. No, this is a push mower (self-propelled), and it's the first time I've had a Honda engine on a lawn mower. All my other ones have been side valve Briggs & Stratton engines. I'll never go back to B&S after having this Honda. If GM made small engines, I'd get one of those! :D

That's what I want in a vacuum cleaner so I can just ride the thing around my apartment.  Fair is fair!!!  :lol:

Marika,

How about a RoomBa? That way you can read while it vacuums the apartment by itself; even if you leave books on the floor...LOL :lol:

No, this is a push mower (self-propelled), and it's the first time I've had a Honda engine on a lawn mower. All my other ones have been side valve Briggs & Stratton engines. I'll never go back to B&S after having this Honda. If GM made small engines, I'd get one of those! :D

EhEhehe.. Honda makes awesome small engines. I love their lawnmower engines. Now if they would just make a weed eater engine.. After weed eating for an hour my ears are ringing and my hands are numb hehe..

No, this is a push mower (self-propelled), and it's the first time I've had a Honda engine on a lawn mower.  All my other ones have been side valve Briggs & Stratton engines.  I'll never go back to B&S after having this Honda.  If GM made small engines, I'd get one of those!  :D

EhEhehe.. Honda makes awesome small engines. I love their lawnmower engines. Now if they would just make a weed eater engine.. After weed eating for an hour my ears are ringing and my hands are numb hehe..

Wow...I watch the landscapers here at my job and they ALWAYS wear hearing protection and heavy work gloves. The hearing protection is especially important. Get the ear muff type noise suppressors, the better ones can be found at gun stores.

Not to turn this into a small engines thread (sorry to jack your thread Marika!), but the Honda 5.5 hp I have is great. It's an OHC with a timing belt! Talk about high tech. :) It's SOOOO much quieter than the side valve Briggs engine I did have (with 6.5 hp).

In fact, Honda DOES make a small trimmer engine -- and it's a 4-stroke! They call them the "super mini 4-strokes" and it's pretty cool -- it's an OHC design like their mower engines, but the oil is contantly in a misted state when the engine is running, and that enables it to basically turn 360* without oil starvation. I'd love to have one, but I'm sure it's WAY expensive, and I haven't even seen one locally. I've only seen one 4-stroke trimmer, and it was in the neighborhood of $300. That's what I paid for my mower, and THAT was expensive when you look at it on paper (only 5.5 hp, FWD, etc). But I was happy to pay that premium for the Honda engine. If you are interested in them, go to www.honda-engines.com and order some literature.

Okay, sorry, I realize this was COMPLETELY not related to this forum, so I'll shut up. :lol:

Not to turn this into a small engines thread (sorry to jack your thread Marika!)

No need to apologize. I find this stuff very interesting actually.

There was a recent newspaper article about lawn mowers as well and how the average lawn mower in about 20 minutes of run time, will produce more air pollution than some cars can produce in 1 day. It's actually good to see that automotive technology is creeping into such items as lawn mowers. Maybe we can get them with cat converters next?

There was a recent newspaper article about lawn mowers as well and how the average lawn mower in about 20 minutes of run time, will produce more air pollution than some cars can produce in 1 day.  It's actually good to see that automotive technology is creeping into such items as lawn mowers.  Maybe we can get them with cat converters next?

I don't know about the converters, but I wouldn't mind really. I also follow a yard tool related forum (gardenweb.com) and some of the folks there really love their 2-stroke engines (mix gas and oil). A lot of them buy the only brand of lawn mower I think that still sells a 2-stroke, Lawn Boy. While this was commonplace 10 years ago, the technology has really advanced since then, and most lawn mowers you buy today are MUCH cleaner, because they're 4-stroke, like car gas engines. They're obviously still not as clean as an automobile, but they're a heckuva lot cleaner than they once were. This is one of the reasons I bought an OHC Honda engine. Many lawn mowers still use side valve heads (exactly like an automotive "flathead" engine). They're simple, but they're not nearly as efficient. That technology has been extinct in automobiles for half a century and I'm glad the power tool industry has finally caught up. Honda's OHC design really simplifies matters because the cam lobe is actually integral to the cam pulley and there are two followers that ride on that lobe, one for the intake valve and one for the exhaust. No pushrods to activate, no loud metal camshaft banging around, fewer parts, lighter engine, etc. I ordered their brochures before I actually bought the mower and they said the actual engine sound is distinctly different, and more pleasing, than one might be used to. And after running my old B(riggs)&S(tratton) mower next to the new Honda, there's a HUGE difference. The B&S was comparatively loud and raspy and grainey and the Honda was low-toned and deep...kind of like an opened-up Camaro exhaust. The B&S sounds just like a '69 Beetle at full bore. :)

You know, every dog on this planet HATES the sound of the old VW Beetle engine so they must also think of those lawn mowers and their owners as something to munch on as well.....LOLOL!!!!!!!

That's what I want in a vacuum cleaner so I can just ride the thing around my apartment.  Fair is fair!!!  :lol:

Marika,

How about a RoomBa? That way you can read while it vacuums the apartment by itself; even if you leave books on the floor...LOL :lol:

Oh, you've seen the inside of my apartment....LOLOLOL!!!!!!!! :lol:

When friends visit, I tell them to bring lawn chairs since there's not a spot in the place to sit down. Everything is covered in books, except the bed. Sometimes, I fall asleep with a book in bed and when I wake up, I have the strangest looking creases on my face....LOLOLOL!!!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Usually when I purchase a vehicle I will run through the owners manuel, stopping to read what interest me at the time. I will do this for a few weeks or so to get the options were I want them and how to run the car.

Once everything is set I will come back later on and read other areas of the manual eventually covering the entire book (sooner or later)

Peace ByStorm :rolleyes:

post-3-1089066427.jpg

• 1 month later...
Usually when I purchase a vehicle I will run through the owners manuel, stopping to read what interest me at the time. I will do this for a few weeks or so to get the options were I want them and how to run the car.

Once everything is set I will come back later on and read other areas of the manual eventually covering the entire book (sooner or later)

Peace ByStorm :rolleyes:

I think that's how most people actually "read a manual", bit by bit. This way they absorb a small amount of it, use the data, then move onto the next section repeating the same actions.

Archived