CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PCV Valve on '94 Eldo?

Ion

For the past few years I've been trying to locate the source of an ongoing intermittent engine stalling problem that mainly occurs when temps are in the 100's and up (almost daily in the summer here) when turning on the a/c adds an extra load to the system. I read somewhere that replacing the PCV valve would, among other things, eliminate engine stalls.

If this car has a PCV valve, can anyone tell me where it's located?

That's where it was. And after an initial test run, there have been no issues! Could it be that after 3+ years, loads of dollars, countless hours of frustrating sweat time, and megabytes of opinions from experts, a part costing $3 and change, that was completely overlooked by everyone, was the root of the problem? Time will tell. I'm being cautiously optimistic...

On the valve cover, on my sts it was on the far valve cover closest to the passenger compartment

Yea PCV valves seem to be over looked alot, What have you put into it trying to fix the issue?

Here's what I can recall:

1. Replaced MAP Sensor

2. Replaced FPR

3. Replaced TPS

4. Replaced Fuel Pump / Filter

5. Replaced all injector seats

6. Replaced PCM...twice, each time at suggestion of "professional"

7. Scraped, cleaned and vacuumed carbon / gunk buildup in all injector ports

8. Same as above to throttle body and EGR

9. Replaced battery cables

10. Replaced leaky fuel line

That's all I can remember, but I'm sure there has been more.

When I buy a car I always do a tune up along with a PCV valve. It's only $3 and I think most GM cars all use the same one. I can totally see how it would be easy to overlook.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Well folks, it's back to the drawing board again...stalled again and again and again. One would think that after 3 years of seeking answers, SOMEONE would have been able to solve this mystery by now!

Noone else has ever experienced intermittent stalling with a Northstar, primarily when temps are hot (100 & up)?

Well folks, it's back to the drawing board again...stalled again and again and again. One would think that after 3 years of seeking answers, SOMEONE would have been able to solve this mystery by now!

No one else has ever experienced intermittent stalling with a Northstar, primarily when temps are hot (100 & up)?

What are some details of the stalling?

Any codes?

Have you checked the connectors on the crankshaft sensors?

Are you just idling along in traffic when it stalls?

Has it ever stalled when driving at regular speeds?

What is the fastest speed that it has stalled?

Does the temp gauge ever go past halfway?

If "YES'... how far?

Does it miss and sputter before stalling...or does it just STOP RUNNING...like you turned the key off?

Does it start right back up?

Have you checked the fuel pressure .... with a pressure gauge?

Have you attached a pressure gauge to it watched the fuel pressure when it stalls?

Just a few questions to find out details. :D

Posted Image

Archived