CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tires

JACK

I currently have P235/55R17 tires and would like to put something larger on without looking stupid, and stay with the 17" wheels as I do not want to go through the expense of changing the rims, any suggestions.

Thanks,Jack

You could go with 245x50x17.

With that size you would not have to recalibrate your speedometer.

It would be a wider tire, but with a slightly smaller sidewall and would very probably improve your handling some.

Posted Image

Is there a particular brand of tires that would be recommended? I've always liked Michelins, but I am sure that there are equally as good or better brands out there. One probably pays extra $ for the michelin name, when another brand may be equally as good for less $. Money is not really the issue as I like to have the best tires under me and my family without going crazy for no reason.

Thanks For The Input, Jack

Is there a particular brand of tires that would be recommended? I've always liked Michelins, but I am sure that there are equally as good or better brands out there. One probably pays extra $ for the michelin name, when another brand may be equally as good for less $. Money is not really the issue as I like to have the best tires under me and my family without going crazy for no reason.

Thanks For The Input, Jack

I too am partial to Michelin.

You may want to check on the Michelin Hydroedge.

I have had a couple of sets of those on other cars and really, really liked them.

Fairly quite, real long lasting and very good road holding.

I wish they made the Michelin Hydroedge in a size to fit my present car, but they don't.

Darn it.

If they did...I can guarantee you, thats what would be on it today.

I have heard some good things about the Goodyear Comfort Tread and Triple Tread.

I have not, personally, owned a set of them yet.

Again, they don't make them in my size.

Posted Image

I currently have P235/55R17 tires and would like to put something larger on without looking stupid, and stay with the 17" wheels as I do not want to go through the expense of changing the rims, any suggestions.

Thanks,Jack

Hello Jack. I could help you out, as I have 25 years experience in the tire business, but my input is muzzled for some unexplained reason.

Hello Jack. I could help you out, as I have 25 years experience in the tire business, but my input is muzzled for some unexplained reason.

Someday, when your input is no longer muzzled as you say, you will have to give us your thoughts on road force balancing and how it pertains to these cars. In a different thread please.

As to Jacks original post. I think there are quieter tires on the market than the Michelin, but I don't think there is a rounder tire to be found anywhere. As some of us has learned over the years, the roundness of the tire is EXTREMELY important on this chassis.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived