CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC problems

msfixit

KMIDGETTE@ec.rr.com

I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora with the 4.0 Northstar Engine. Three years ago, the compressor went and we had it replaced (system flushed - the whole nine yards) - it never worked right after that but still worked fairly well. Before the year was out, the new compressor went - the mechanic who had done the work unhappily replaced the compressor since it was within the warranty period. It did not work well at all after that (I guess we got hosed by the guy). The system really didn't cool well at all, especially around town - short trips in hot weather. Shortly, the clutch went out and my husband had the clutch replaced. The system worked better but still not well. Last night my husband added a can of R134a freon and the oil (from Wal-Mart) and it cooled down to 40 degrees at idle (it was evening so not too hot outside). Today it cooled in the morning as always (never got below 50) - I have a 20 minute trip to work at speeds of 45, 55 then back down to 35 - the slower I drove, the warmer it got although it didn't get above 60. On the way home, it cooled down to 60, then back up to 70 at the stoplights, then back down to 50 on the straight away at 60 MPH and finally when I put her in park and idled for under two minutes, it went from 50 degrees to 70. Has anyone got any ideas?? By the way - there are no codes present.

You really need to have the high and low pressure readings for a proper diagnosis. It's possible that you arte still low on refrigerant or maybe the electric fan(s) are not running when travelling at low speeds.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When the new compressor failed it might have clogged the orifice tube . I would think a system flush and new orifice tube would be in order after a compressor failure.

rek

Thanks for the info - Can anyone tell me what the pressures should be and how I go about checking them? I have read some of the archives and I have seen mention of a gage manifold set - is this a tool I could find at NAPA or is it something I would have to order?? Thanks again for any guidance!

Napa probably has them but not cheap as I recall. Pressures vary depending on ambient air temp & (I think) humidity. You'll need a manual for that.

Archived