CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 seville air conditioning problem

Hi

Can anyone help? I have a 1996 Seville sls the a/c has been working fine the other night it was cool out side so I shut the a/c off and opened the windows. The next day I tried to turn on the a/c but the climate control center will only show a/c off. The info center shows extremely low refrigerant and compressor off in the message area. When I checked the system I found the refrigerant to be full and the compressor is not seized and there is no power at the compressor during operation and the pressure switches jumpered. This is the end of what I know to check, I called local dealer the mechanic told me it sounds like a control panel problem and it might be able to be reset by pressing buttons on the panel, but that's all he could tell me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks its hot out now MR3

Hi

Can anyone help? I have a 1996 Seville sls the a/c has been working fine the other night it was cool out side so I shut the a/c off and opened the windows. The next day I tried to turn on the a/c but the climate control center will only show a/c off. The info center shows extremely low refrigerant and compressor off in the message area. When I checked the system I found the refrigerant to be full and the compressor is not seized and there is no power at the compressor during operation and the pressure switches jumpered. This is the end of what I know to check, I called local dealer the mechanic told me it sounds like a control panel problem and it might be able to be reset by pressing buttons on the panel, but that's all he could tell me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

How do you know the refrigerant is "Full"? When the system says it is low on refrigerant, it almost always is. The system will prevent the operation of the compressor when it loses enough refrigerant in order to prevent the compressor from being damaged. Do not jumper any of the sensors - you may cause damage to the system.

You can clear the code in diagnostics by simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons on the climate control panel. When you see PCM? press the FAN DN button to answer NO. Keep pushing FAN DN until you see ACM? Then press FAN UP and you will see ACM CODES? Again, press FAN UP and the codes will be displayed. Write them down and post back. You will then see CLEAR ACM CODES? Press FAN UP and then exit diagnostics by pressing the AUTO button (temp dial).

If the code immediately sets and disables the compressor, I would say the system is low on refrigerant and needs a charge.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hi

How do you know the refrigerant is "Full"? When the system says it is low on refrigerant, it almost always is. The system will prevent the operation of the compressor when it loses enough refrigerant in order to prevent the compressor from being damaged. Do not jumper any of the sensors - you may cause damage to the system.

You can clear the code in diagnostics by simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons on the climate control panel. When you see PCM? press the FAN DN button to answer NO. Keep pushing FAN DN until you see ACM? Then press FAN UP and you will see ACM CODES? Again, press FAN UP and the codes will be displayed. Write them down and post back. You will then see CLEAR ACM CODES? Press FAN UP and then exit diagnostics by pressing the AUTO button (temp dial).

If the code immediately sets and disables the compressor, I would say the system is low on refrigerant and needs a charge.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. Since I posted my problem the dealer mechanic had called me back and told me how to use the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons to view any codes that might be there. I found the code a/c 1347 current in the diagnostics info center by simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons on the climate control panel as you stated. This code is the very low refrigerant warning but I didn't clear anything as you stated but I will. And to answer your question about how do I know the system is full, when I first saw the very low refrigerant message in the info center I put my manifold gauges on with a full 30 pound r-134 and the system showed full and would not take any more refrigerant but the compressor did not run and I have not as of yet opened the system and pulled a vacuum and recharged the system but I was able to turn the compressor by hand to check weather it was free or not and it turned ok. Unless I went about this all the wrong way I thought the system would have taken refrigerant and started the compressor if it was low. Please let me know what I did wrong so far.

Thanks MR3

If you are 100% sure that your system is fully changed you need a new low pressure sensor, I had one go bad when my 96 system was without a charge for a year or so when my compressor hub bearing blew.

I dont think you need to depressurize your system to replace that low pressure sensor, but check with someone before you remove it, I wouldnt want you to release your freon.

You can confirm you have a bad LOW pressure sensor by temporarily jumping the sensor's connector

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

when I first saw the very low refrigerant message in the info center I put my manifold gauges on with a full 30 pound r-134 and the system showed full and would not take any more refrigerant but the compressor did not run and I have not as of yet opened the system and pulled a vacuum and recharged the system but I was able to turn the compressor by hand to check weather it was free or not and it turned ok. Unless I went about this all the wrong way I thought the system would have taken refrigerant and started the compressor if it was low. Please let me know what I did wrong so far.

Thanks MR3

Once the low refrigerant code sets, the compressor is disabled and the system won't take any refrigerant. Without the compressor running, I'm not sure how you took any pressure reading other than the static pressure which doesn't mean much. You need to hook up the refrigerant, burp the air from the lines, start the engine, clear the code and then turn on the A/C and it will take refrigerant before the code sets. It is best to have a helper clear the code, etc. while you are watching the gages. You can get the system close by using the chart in the service manual that will show what the high and low side pressure readings should be at various ambient temps and relative humidity readings.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

when I first saw the very low refrigerant message in the info center I put my manifold gauges on with a full 30 pound r-134 and the system showed full and would not take any more refrigerant but the compressor did not run and I have not as of yet opened the system and pulled a vacuum and recharged the system but I was able to turn the compressor by hand to check weather it was free or not and it turned ok. Unless I went about this all the wrong way I thought the system would have taken refrigerant and started the compressor if it was low. Please let me know what I did wrong so far.

Thanks MR3

Once the low refrigerant code sets, the compressor is disabled and the system won't take any refrigerant. Without the compressor running, I'm not sure how you took any pressure reading other than the static pressure which doesn't mean much. You need to hook up the refrigerant, burp the air from the lines, start the engine, clear the code and then turn on the A/C and it will take refrigerant before the code sets. It is best to have a helper clear the code, etc. while you are watching the gages. You can get the system close by using the chart in the service manual that will show what the high and low side pressure readings should be at various ambient temps and relative humidity readings.

Thanks Kevin, KHE and Bodybyfisher - for all your help.

I will post here again after I do what has been suggested. Wont be able to work on it untill the weekend but I will let you know of any progress then. thanks again MR3

Archived