CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1981 cadillac coupedeville 4 6 8 cylinders

aries

A friend of mine had one in an Eldorado, he ended up mortgaging the house to keep it running. He took immaculate care of it though...8-6-4 was a real headache, great idea on paper...supposedly Cadillac has a new V-12 in the wings, N* based, similar 12-10-8 or 12-10-8-6-4-2 BLASTOFF!!! Whatever :wacko: Concept..

The V-8-6-4 engine was a large V8 (around 6 or 7 liters if memory serves me correctly) that was designed to turn off as many as 4 cylinders, via the valvetrain, during periods of cruising or coasting. It had the capability of turning off 2 cylinders (thus effectively making it a V-6) or 4 cylinders (a V-4). That's why it's called the V-8-6-4.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The V8-6-4 was a 368 cu-in (6.0 l) V-8 Engine that as Jason said, had the ability to run on 8, 6, or 4 cylinders based on load/power demand. It accomplished this automatically.

It was the staandard engine in all Cadillacs for 1981 but was replaced by the HT-4100 V-8 for 1982. The V8-6-4 was used through the 1985 model year in the commercial chassis (limousines).

That engine was way ahead of its time for 1981.

My guess is that there are very few left - I occasionally see an '81 Cadillac in western Michigan but with all the road salt, they are usually rusty beaters...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived