CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Eldorado CV Axle Replacement Questions & Head Gasket Advice Wanted

I was just given an unbelievable deal on a 97 Eldorado that needs one of its CV axles replaced. I’m going to look at the car for the first time when I get off work today and wondered if there was anything about the 92-02 Eldorado that made replacing CV axles THAT MUCH different that any other cross mounted tranny car. I have replaced the CV axles in a Chevy Chevette and in a forward mounted engine in 70 and 82 Eldorados. Is there something about the 97 that make this replacement any more difficult? Any special tools? Anything to look for when I go see the car and consider buying it?

It is a second owner car, always “adult driven”, and has complete maintenance records. No knocking or overheating problems – so they say. But the axle failed and the car cannot be driven. If I buy it, it will have to be without a test drive. How long will it take for the engine to overheat if it is started but not driven- or will it? The car is at a shop right now for the axle replacement that was not done. The last 97 I tried to buy- I had the shop run a pressurization test to check the head gaskets and they said they blew the gaskets during the test. Is running a pressurization test a good idea on this engine or will I blow it in the process? Are there any tell-tale signs that will show up when the engine is running if the car needs gaskets, but can not be driven like maybe a fluctuating engine temp at idle?

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=96

I was just given an unbelievable deal on a 97 Eldorado that needs one of its CV axles replaced. I’m going to look at the car fro the first time when I get off work today and wondered if there was anything about the 92-02 Eldorado that made replacing them THAT MUCH different that any other cross mounted tranny car. I have replaced the CV axles in a Chevy Chevette and in a forward engine 70 and 82 Eldorado. Is there something about this car that make this replacement any more difficult? Any special tools? Anything to look for when I go see the car and consider buying it?

It is a second owner car, always “adult driven”, and has complete maintenance records. No knocking or overheating problems – so they say. But the axle failed and the car cannot be driven. If I buy it, it will have to be without a test drive. How long will it take for the engine to overheat if it is started but not driven- or will it? The car is at a shop right now for the axle replacement that was not done. The last 97 I tried to buy- I had the shop run a pressurization test to check the head gaskets and they said they blew the gaskets during the test. Is running a pressurization test a good idea on this engine or will I blow it in the process? Are there any tell-tale signs that will show up when the engine is running if the car needs gaskets, but can not be driven like maybe a fluctuating engine temp at idle?

Replacing the CV axle is no different on these cars than on any other transverse FWD car. I assume the boot got torn, puked grease and the CV joint is now worn due to road dirt getting inside. I'd recommend buying the GM CV joint and GM boot and repairing the existing axle IF it is the original axle half shaft. Two reasons 1) the aftermarket axles all seem to have soft boots that get destroyed easily. 2) The aftermarket axles have a tendency to cause vibration.

If the car already has an aftermarket axle, you can often find GM parts on ebay or from a junkyard.

Unless the head gaskets are so shot that it is leaking coolant to the ground, you won't be able to tell without driving it. I'd have the shop do a pressure test and/or coolant combustion test on the coolant. If a pressure test causes the head gasket(s) to leak, they weren't much good anyway...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If some thing is to good to be true it probably isn't true.

How many miles are on the 97 Eldo??

You didn't memtion anything about the transmission, and that needs to be road tested.

They certaintly can't sell the car in it current condition. How much do they want to charge to replace the axles?

I seem to recall that the 97 North Star engine head gaskets were a little more proned to failure than other model years. You need to research and verify for yourself this statement. Others will chime in if they feel other wise.

The members on this board go to great extent from giving out mis-information. Again, this is just my opinion.

What was the condition of the old axles. Did they come apart or did the boot tear and the grease came out.

I was just given an unbelievable deal on a 97 Eldorado

Red flag!

The last 97 I tried to buy- I had the shop run a pressurization test to check the head gaskets and they said they blew the gaskets during the test. Is running a pressurization test a good idea on this engine or will I blow it in the process?

You can't blow the head gaskets by doing a leak down test. They where already gone.

Are there any tell-tale signs that will show up when the engine is running if the car needs gaskets, but can not be driven like maybe a fluctuating engine temp at idle?

Only if they are leaking very very badly. In the early stages there won't even be any signs in normal driving. Only in a hill climb or WOT.

Archived