CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS 99 Shifting problem 4th gear

Hello everyone,

i got a strange problem on my STS build in 99.

I was driving yesterday on a german highway with 242km/h (about 150miles) for about 10 minutes.

Afterwards the cruise control didnt worked anymore and it seems that the car changes into a "speed mode" or something like this.

The car accelrate really high in the 3th gear. It switched into the 4th gear after 220km/h. It was kind of nice for a short time :)

But today when i drove back there was no 4th gear anymore. I drove on the highway with cruise control (120km/h) and the car was always in 3th gear. The RPM was about 3500 all the time and the car needed about 14-15 liter petrol.

Is there any option to disable this "speed mode" or something? to get my 4th gear back ?

Or do you know if there broke anything?

would be nice to receive some tipps on this behavior.

regards

BHunter

Pull the codes and post them here.

The codes will tell you what is wrong.

Hi TexasJim,

thanks for your answer. but how do it get the codes.

I am in germany and we got no local dealer here who got a code reader for a cadillac.

Is there any other way to get the codes?

Pull the codes and post them here.

The codes will tell you what is wrong.

Hi TexasJim,

thanks for your answer. but how do it get the codes.

I am in germany and we got no local dealer here who got a code reader for a cadillac.

Is there any other way to get the codes?

ok i find out the I go into the computer by pressing ON/OFF and Info UP 3 seconds.

(Didn't even know this so far)

What kind of codes I need? There are so many options could someone guide me?

there was something with PCM p0503...

ok i figured out that the car mainly uses the 1th and the 3th gear.

It shift into the 4th when i drive over 220km.

Is there any programable option that the car mainly uses the second and the fourth gear for normal driving?

Go to the top of this page, click HOW TO, then DTC CODES then follow the directions for your year to dump your codes and post them here

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

ok i got all codes now:

ABS - no

AMR - no

DDM - no

DIM - no

IPC - B1652

IPM - B1652

IRC - U1016

PCM - P0603 (removed batterie for whole night) before batterie remove it was a PCM - P0503

RFA - no

RIM - no

SDM - U1301

VTD - B2355

TTM - no

RSS - no

got someone any idea?

Regards

Drive it for a day to reset codes, it may take some time for a tranny code to reset

P0503 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Intermittent

Are you having speedometer problems?

Keep an eye on your codes for a couple of days, if you have an ISS speed sensor problem, in conjuction with a VSS problem, shifting will be messed up

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...

thank you !!

i drove now for a couple of days. There was no reset so far :(

Yesterday i went onto the highway again and I tried to get the car in 4th gear by short acc to 230 kmh. The car was still in 3th with nearly about 7000 rpm (red area).

No Shifting into 4th gear :(

I read a lot about the "solenoids". Might this be a problem? Need these parts to be replaced? Is there any known manual how to replace these parts?.

Kind regards from Germany !!

thank you !!

Yesterday i went onto the highway again and I tried to get the car in 4th gear by short acc to 230 kmh. The car was still in 3th with nearly about 7000 rpm (red area).

I read a lot about the "solenoids". Might this be a problem? Need these parts to be replaced? Is there any known manual how to replace these parts?.

I had the same issue last week and it turned out to be 2 of the shift solenoids, and cost $300 to get repaired

• 2 weeks later...
thank you !!

I had the same issue last week and it turned out to be 2 of the shift solenoids, and cost $300 to get repaired

Hi Scott,

thanks for your info!!!

Nearly all garages in Germany want to replace the whole transmission (which is complete to expensive for me (they want 5000 EUR for a new transmission)). Driving s US Car in Germany means allways trouble with garages. It seems they only want to sell Cadillacs but they don't want to offer the repair service.

Finaly I maybe found someone whos might be able and to replace the solenoids.

But before we start we need of course all parts. I need to import these from USA :(. (It seems no German Cadillac dealer got these on stock *insane*)

Can someone exactly tell me WHAT kind of parts I need to change these solenoids (solenoids, gasket ... ? )

Does someone got s shoplink for me or maybe the GM Part Number of these parts?

I looked allready on Rockauto.com but therere are so many parts and I am really not firm with repairing cars.

Is there anywhere a "how to" for changing these solenoids?

Currently we dont know if one or two are broken, i guess the best would be to change all 4 I guess.

Kind regards

Bhunter

thank you !!

Hi Scott,

thanks for your info!!!

Nearly all garages in Germany want to replace the whole transmission (which is complete to expensive for me (they want 5000 EUR for a new transmission)). Driving s US Car in Germany means allways trouble with garages. It seems they only want to sell Cadillacs but they don't want to offer the repair service.

Finaly I maybe found someone whos might be able and to replace the solenoids.

But before we start we need of course all parts. I need to import these from USA :( . (It seems no German Cadillac dealer got these on stock *insane*)

Can someone exactly tell me WHAT kind of parts I need to change these solenoids (solenoids, gasket ... ? )

Does someone got s shoplink for me or maybe the GM Part Number of these parts?

I looked allready on Rockauto.com but therere are so many parts and I am really not firm with repairing cars.

Is there anywhere a "how to" for changing these solenoids?

Currently we dont know if one or two are broken, i guess the best would be to change all 4 I guess.

Kind regards

Bhunter

Check out this thread...see if it helps you.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...shift+solenoids

Posted Image

Archived