CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 DTS

Hello, I recently bought a 2001 DTS, it had 97,000km on it and now has 105,000km. It started to make what I thought was either lifter noise or a small hole in the manifold. You can really hear the noise when standing outside of it, sounds like it coming from below the car. And you can notice it stopped beside another car or wall and it reflects off of it. And now just recently the car kinda chugs slightly while idling. I have some error codes i got from the DIC.

ABS C1288 History

PCM P0036 History

PCM P0141 Current

PCM P0420 Current

PCM P1189 Current

RCC U1000 History

TTM B1327 History

Thanks

Check the codes here. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html♦

you need to isolate that noise better. Use a stethoscope or a piece of hose.

Thanks, will try to isolate the noise Sunday, I looked up codes

Body Code: B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts (history)

Chassis code: C1288 - Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction (history)

Powertrain code: P0036 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 (history)

Powertrain code: P0141 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2 (current)

Powertrain code: P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency (current)

Powertrain code: P1189 - Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit (current)

Network Code: U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (history)

I also run 5w30 castrol full syntec, and takes 1ltr oil every 1500km or so.

The source of your noise is going to be an important clue.

And another important clue is B1327.

When the system voltage falls below 9 Volts, the various system control modules become unreliable and can set false, erroneous error codes. Which means there is no way you should put any faith in the reliability/accuracy of any codes that are stored.

If you have corrected the problem that set B1327 (which was a dead battery), I suggest you clear all your codes and get a fresh reading after a test drive.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

As Jim recommends clear the codes...

The 1288 will need a new steering position sensor.. very common problem... This code will almost always be stored as "history" since once it is triggered the car turns off the Stabilitrak system and stops looking for codes there.

The 0420 code is the one that worries me... That is the classic code for a plugged cat... You will want to test for that first... Its easy and fun...

Find a open chuck of freeway and from about 55 MPH... GOOSE IT and keep your foot in it... If the Cat is plugged the car will misfire and the MIL light will flash rapidly... If it does this abort the test and replace the CAT as quickly as you can... On a car of this age I would recommend a quality "jobber" cat... These are about 1/4 the price of a dealer cat (which are NOT cheap) This will solve all of the above "emissions" codes.

If there isn't a misfire... then chances are the Cat is good... then replace the #2 O2 sensor.

The P1189 is kinda scary too.. Check that the oil pressure sensor is plugged in correctly (it is right above the Oil filter) If it is plugged in you might need to replace the sensor... Again it is easily accessible remove the oil filter and the oil filter adapter and re&Re the sensor.

Good Luck

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I cleared the codes and now these are the codes. The car feels like it slightly chugs off the go like the timing is off, and shakes a fair bit while idling. Also about once a trip the engine light will come on and flash for abit and then go out.

P0036 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected

Thanks

I cleared the codes and now these are the codes. The car feels like it slightly chugs off the go like the timing is off, and shakes a fair bit while idling. Also about once a trip the engine light will come on and flash for abit and then go out.

P0036 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected

Thanks

The car only tests for the P0420 about once every three or four days... so that one takes awhile to reoccur ... But if the car "chugs" is sluggish... shakes and flashes the MIL light... All of those things point to a Plugged Cat. How is the car's milage? Bad too? Replace the Cat.

I would recomend a quality aftermarket "exact fit" unit. The OEM ones are way over $500.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Hey again, thanks for all the help. I am still unsure of which of the two cat's I should get in the above links.

Does the car have less than 80,000 miles on it and is it less than 8 years old?

IF IT IS...the CATS are covered under warranty.

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Everything is always 100,000km warrenty up here in Canada and I'm sitting at 107k, bought it at 94k. Well I been working on getting a new Cat from the states as its about half the price.

But today while leaving a parking lot I bottomed out abit, cringed but seemed like everything was good. I continued driving and then notice a strange clugging sound at the same time a the tick and then noticed smoke behind the car stopped. When I drove off i left a little cloud of smoke and the engine light continued to flash all the way home (about 5km). Everywhere i stopped i left a small cloud of smoke. 10 seconds after i turned off the car in the driveway I heard a pump or something from the rear part of the car. The smoke smelt like burnt oil.

Well talked to my father inlaw who was a class A until his sciatic nerve went, he is going to swing by tomorrow and have a look at it. I also talked to a friend of mine and he seems to think those 4.6's are bullet proof and his guess is that the manifold gasket and the smoke could be the O2 sensor being damaged from bottoming out leaving parking lot or a failed injector.

Everything is always 100,000km warrenty up here in Canada and I'm sitting at 107k, bought it at 94k. Well I been working on getting a new Cat from the states as its about half the price.

But today while leaving a parking lot I bottomed out abit, cringed but seemed like everything was good. I continued driving and then notice a strange clugging sound at the same time a the tick and then noticed smoke behind the car stopped. When I drove off i left a little cloud of smoke and the engine light continued to flash all the way home (about 5km). Everywhere i stopped i left a small cloud of smoke. 10 seconds after i turned off the car in the driveway I heard a pump or something from the rear part of the car. The smoke smelt like burnt oil.

If I am not mistaken, Canada has a federal mandatory 8 yrs / 130000km warranty on most of the exhaust system..

I'd call the dealer and check (or take a read of the owners manual)

I checked my owners manual.. Yup 8 years, 130,000 KM

Canadian Cadillac Federal Warranty

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived