CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anti Lock Error TO61

Barry94

Hi, it's been quite some time since I last posted. My run of good fortune with the Caddy has come to an end.

I literally have not had any problems for the past few years.

However now I have an anti lock light on and traction control message on the DIC.

Only one error code is set TO61.

I have the manuals and have done the diagnostics. Conclusion is that the motor is defective on the Brake & Traction Control Modulator, which is the actual electro-mechanical valve body under the hood that controls the brake fluid.

I spent the day trying to "defeat" the computer into thinking that all is well with the Modulator. I can provide all the correct signals (feedback) to the computer module, however it still is picking up something that it doesn't like and sets the TO61 code.

New modulators from GM are not available. (Obsolete) Just as well, the price was $ 2,730.00

The local wrecker yards don't have any either.

I was hoping someone may have encountered this problem before and has a solution. (I did a search and found nothing.)

Thanks

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

How do you feel about removing the module, opening it up and carefully inspecting the electrical side? Paying particular attention to the motor brushes, wiring and connections.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

How do you feel about removing the module, opening it up and carefully inspecting the electrical side? Paying particular attention to the motor brushes, wiring and connections.

I have considered this. The electrical connections (plug/wires/relays/relay contacts) on the outside are fine.

The six rusty brake lines and the location of the module have discouraged me so far.

The motor is either seized or shorted. Even 12V applied directly to the motor only results in sparks.

Shows about .8 ohms resistance across the motor.

I haven't investigated if the motor can be removed with the module in place.

Something to look at tomorrow.

Thanks, Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

There are "Pull a part" type facilities in my area and chances are the vehicles have not been exposed to the winter driving conditions and roadway chemicals seen in higher latitudes. I can be available to try to locates a "used" replacement.

"Shows about .8 ohms resistance across the motor."

I would expect the resistance of a motor to be very low. And since the motor would be attempting to draw something like 15 Amps, there would be sparking (normal). At least you can safely assume the motor circuit is not open.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I noticed under my profile information that there is a a line... Warn: (0%) (5 gray balls)

No one else that I have seen have anything like that.

Is there something I should know ? Can someone explain what this means?

Thanks, Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I noticed under my profile information that there is a a line... Warn: (0%) (5 gray balls)

No one else that I have seen have anything like that.

Is there something I should know ? Can someone explain what this means?

Thanks, Barry

If you are doing or have done, something that is against the rules...you can be "WARNED".

As long as you have all five gray things...you are OK. :D

The less you have..the closer you are to getting suspended or banned, or at least thats the way "I" understand it. :D:D:D

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Posted Image

If you are doing or have done, something that is against the rules...you can be "WARNED".

As long as you have all five gray things...you are OK. :D

The less you have..the closer you are to getting suspended or banned, or at least thats the way "I" understand it. :D:D:D

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks, I assumed it was something like that.

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Glad to see that you are holding on to your -94! I believe that you and I are about the only ones in this forum that had burned exhaust valves on our STSs. I sold mine with only about 220000 km on the clock ;) Still running like a champ.

Glad to see that you are holding on to your -94! I believe that you and I are about the only ones in this forum that had burned exhaust valves on our STSs. I sold mine with only about 220000 km on the clock ;) Still running like a champ.

I see you're now driving a 2002 STS. How is that compared to the '94 ?

I did think about getting a newer STS, however not much to choose from around here.

The '94 has been working so well and been very reliable for the past few years. I had to replace the water pump this spring, however that was an easy fix.

Just over a year ago, when the Canadian dollar and US dollar were about par, I proposed a deal to the local Cadillac dealer.

I offered to pay "US LIST PRICE" for a fully loaded CTS.

The salesman said sure, lets do the deal. Well, he could not get the deal approved. GM Canada would not budge on the price.

In Canada we pay a hefty premium over US prices.

I investigated purchasing in the US, which has it's issues. No warranty in Canada for a period of time, I forget 6 or 12 months.

US dealers are Discouraged/forbidden (by GM) to sell to a Canadian.

At that point I'm somewhat "ticked" at GM and decide not to purchase. Now with the economy, and still being upset with GM, I guess I'll drive the '94 a bit longer. Maybe a CTS coupe in 2010.(if they ever make one).

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I see you're now driving a 2002 STS. How is that compared to the '94 ?

I did think about getting a newer STS, however not much to choose from around here.

The '94 has been working so well and been very reliable for the past few years. I had to replace the water pump this spring, however that was an easy fix.

Just over a year ago, when the Canadian dollar and US dollar were about par, I proposed a deal to the local Cadillac dealer.

I offered to pay "US LIST PRICE" for a fully loaded CTS.

The salesman said sure, lets do the deal. Well, he could not get the deal approved. GM Canada would not budge on the price.

In Canada we pay a hefty premium over US prices.

I investigated purchasing in the US, which has it's issues. No warranty in Canada for a period of time, I forget 6 or 12 months.

US dealers are Discouraged/forbidden (by GM) to sell to a Canadian.

At that point I'm somewhat "ticked" at GM and decide not to purchase. Now with the economy, and still being upset with GM, I guess I'll drive the '94 a bit longer. Maybe a CTS coupe in 2010.(if they ever make one).

Barry

They are really two different cars. The STS with magnaride handles like a sportscar, it's quieter, easier on the gas (about 1,25 l/10kms compared to 1,35-1,4/10 kms, more options (my favourites are rain-sense wipers, magnaride, navigational system and parking assistance). Personally I miss the "oomp" in the -93 I had and that nice 1-2 shift shirp ;) I can't really put my finger on it but there are so many things that feels the same but yet so different. When I bought this one I felt like coming home but also as if I had a really different car than before..thats evolution I guess :)

On the downside is the fact that they dropped the trunk lid auto close and the "dog bones" as torque absorbers. That makes the car really prone to vibrations at highway speed. Seems like the wheel bearings don't last longer than 50000 miles either. Besides that it is a great car!

About different prices and guaranties. Here in Sweden a brand new STS costs about twice the prive in US and if you are lucky you'll have a 60000 mile warranty. Buy a used one as I always do it a bit of a gamble. Typically 3-6 months/3000-12000 miles warranty. I'm still planning on buying the last STS. RWD will be a downside in the wintertime but otherwise it seems like it is on of the best cars Cadillac ever made!

I finally found a used Brake & Traction Control Modulator for $100. The motor ran with power applied, so I took a chance and made the purchase.

It was not a simple job to replace. The six attached brake lines took much coaxing, (and some heat), however they all loosened. The R&R procedure in the service manual was very accurate.

The frame did need to be dropped about 4" to allow removal from the left front wheel well.

The only thing I did extra from the service manual was to remove the cooling fans. This allowed much more room to access the wiring and mounting bolts.

The job took about 7 hours. That included bleeding the brakes, which took some time to get all the air removed.

So far it's working well.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Well done.

Is there any chance you will put a rainy day into investigating what went wrong with the electrical half of your failed module?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Well done.

Is there any chance you will put a rainy day into investigating what went wrong with the electrical half of your failed module?

I put 5 minutes into it after removing it, I connected 12V to the motor and gave it a few smacks with a hammer. I thought if it was stuck, it may jar loose, however, nothing changed. Like you say, one rainy day I'll take it apart to see why the motor doesn't work.

Something I forgot to comment on before, was the brake fluid. Brake fluid is something we tend to ignore. Mine was very dark, and a bit cloudy. No doubt quite contaminated. That may have contributed to the failure of the module.

I flushed two bottles of fresh brake fluid thru the system.

I had heard that Mercedes includes changing the brake fluid in their service schedule. Probably not a bad idea.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived