CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Broken Door Handle

sbass52

I'm not familiar with the '98 Eldo, but I would think you'd need to disassemble the door. I don't know if that's hard, but I wouldn't think so.

Given the lack of responses so far (it's been only a day and a half, though), your best bet might be to search this board and the other one. I'm sure this has been addressed before, if not in detail.

Good luck.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

I'm not familiar with the '98 Eldo, but I would think you'd need to disassemble the door. I don't know if that's hard, but I wouldn't think so.

Given the lack of responses so far (it's been only a day and a half, though), your best bet might be to search this board and the other one. I'm sure this has been addressed before, if not in detail.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I 'm not too worried about taking the door apart. It's what to do after I get the door apart. I need to know if it has anything to do with the security system and if it is just the lever it's self that can be replaced or if it's all one mechinism. I have found a used one at an autoyard here.

It's impossible to say until the door panel is pulled and you get a look at what is broken.

The handle it's self is broke. When you pull on it one side is still in tack, but the right side of the handle broke.

Can't find a used one at any of the junk yards here. I think they don't want to tear apart a good door for the handle.

You might try some of the larger salvage yards like LKQ or Yancy. They are more likely to have one in the right color from a damaged door.

It's impossible to say until the door panel is pulled and you get a look at what is broken.

The handle it's self is broke. When you pull on it one side is still in tack, but the right side of the handle broke.

Can't find a used one at any of the junk yards here. I think they don't want to tear apart a good door for the handle.

Where do you live? It's kinda hard to believe you can't locate one, being Cadillac sold thousands of Eldos. I live in Mich, and there are numerous dismantling yards here that are devoted to nothing but Caddy parts. There's a particular one in Detroit called the "Cadillac Graveyard" only cars they junk are Caddys. Good Luck in finding one.

Your service manual isn't clear on this. Just the same, I'm sending it along. Let me know if you need further information.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: My favorite source for "experienced" parts is http://www.cadauto.com . They're not inexpensive, but they've always got what you want.

98_Door_Handle.doc

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I did get my door handle fixed. Found one in New Jersey salvage yard (East Coast salvage) very good people to work with. But I also had a friend who found one here for me at the same time( feast or famine) LOL.

The one I got here, was off of a Deville and it fit just fine.

As for the removal and installation of the old one I dismanteled the interior of the door panel myself and had a mechanic friend of mine asisit me just to make sure I didn't screw it up. I don't make a very good damsile in distress

I so appreciate all of the help I get on this site. Thank you all who replied!! (:>)< (:>)<

Archived