CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Problem with my digital gas meter/ gauge

ok so my gas gauge is digital and it reads sometimes that i have a full tank, which i KNOW i dont. also sometimes it reads that its empty when i KNOW it isnt. everytime i start it, the gauge usually goes right up to full, bar by bar. i dont know whats wrong? maybe a fuse or could it be something bigger?

ok so my gas gauge is digital and it reads sometimes that i have a full tank, which i KNOW i dont. also sometimes it reads that its empty when i KNOW it isnt. everytime i start it, the gauge usually goes right up to full, bar by bar. i dont know whats wrong? maybe a fuse or could it be something bigger?

So...if I understand right...the gauge works..it just doesn't work RIGHT.

If that is so, I would first try a can of TECHRON in the gas tank.

It may just be that the sending unit is varnished up and needs to be cleaned.

I would also check the wires going into the gas tank to make sure they are clean and have a good connection.

Posted Image

Fill the gas tank with gas, put some Techron in the tank and go for a long drive. You can get Techron at the auto parts store I believe. I think people on here recommend using that tank of gas within a day or two.

For cleaning the wires I would use a small wire brush (I got a 9mm pistol brush for maybe 2 bucks at walmart) and some quick drying electrical cleaner that you can get at walmart or a parts store for maybe 3 dollars. Just follow the wires to the gas tank and clean the connectors with the electrical cleaner and use the wire brush.

Let us know if you run into any issues, and post back how it went.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived