CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

i was trying to add an amplifier and subwoofers to my 2000 deville and i unscrewed where the negative was coming from the car and put a ground wire from the amp on that bolt and put it back, also i cut the rear stock subwoofer wires and wired them into a line out converter and then the car wouldnt start. the positive on the battery IS screwed back on and the negative sparks when i try to put it back down on the car itself to screw it back down. i took the amp ground off and the car still wont start and the negative still sparks. im getting no lights or no electricity to the car WHATSOEVER.. what went wrong? what do i do? please help

Ground bolt too short?

Don't amps normally get grounded to the body?

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

well i took the amp ground off and abandoned the whole project but when i try to put the negative back down to the body itself.. it sparks i need the car by tomorow i have a really important weekend coming up

The first thing that I would do is to restore any wires that were cut and not add any "ground" connections. If you got sparks, the wire isn't a ground. The next thing I would do is to check the battery condition and trickle-charge it if necessary. While it was charging, I would check the fuses and circuit breakers in the maxifuse block and the trunk fuse blocks.

Before I tried to hook this equipment up again, I would contact the manufacturer of the equipment for specific instructions for your car. Try first online; it's quickest and will likely get you diagrams and instructions that you can print out.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hey, great! You got your car back to its original condition and it's OK. Once burned, twice shy. But, do go to the manufacturer and ask about instructions for your specific car. If he supports installation of your equipment in a 2000 Deville, then you can probably get your equipment installed OK. Or, you could name your equipment by make and part numbers and such and see if anyone here has successfully installed it. If that doen't give you what you need, then you can return the equipment and order some that does support installation in your car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived