CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hot air on drivers side instead of cold air - HELP I'm cooking in my seat!

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a 1999 Seville SLS and everything was fine but now when the climate control comes on (and set to 60 degrees) it sends cold air to the passenger side, and cold air to the rear seats, but it is sending HOT air to the drivers side.

Any ideas on what to look for and where to look for it?

This is my first caddy so I am learning.

Thanks for the assistance.

Paul

This is a dual zone climate control system correct? If you set the climate control to 75 degrees without the a/c on, is the temperature of the duct air the same between the driver's side and passenger side? If so, the system is low on refrigerant. If the temps are still radically different, then I'd suspect a blend door actuator problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You are correct, dual zone climate control. The temps are radically different even when the ac is off (but blower still on). My air flow (drivers side) is hot (feels like 90+) while the passenger side is outside temp (much cooler right now, about 68)

BTW, I can make the passenger side hot by turning up the temp for that side.

So, where is this blend door actuator for the driver side? :huh:

Paul

This is a dual zone climate control system correct? If you set the climate control to 75 degrees without the a/c on, is the temperature of the duct air the same between the driver's side and passenger side? If so, the system is low on refrigerant. If the temps are still radically different, then I'd suspect a blend door actuator problem.

OK, I found the problem. It is the blend door actuator on the driver side under the dash. There are 3 of them but one would not move no matter what I did with the controls.

I pulled that one and I was able to turn the shaft (in the heater box) and get the system to blow cold air on the drivers side.

Now I just have to find a replacement. It appears that I can order one from the parts store for 150.00

After I googled the number on the motor, 16164972 it seems the number has been changed to 89018375 which crosses to a AC Delco number 15-72972

So I have found references with these numbers to Caddy, buick riv and Park Ave, and chevy trail blazer so if I can find any of those I might possibly find one cheaper.

Well, I might not have automatic climate control on the driver side, but at least I am not cooking myself every time I go for a drive.

Geeze, I can not believe how many things they can stick into these cars just waiting to malfunction. The ride is nice though. :D

Paul

Paul,

I am glad that you found the problem and thank you for reporting back.

That may help someone in the future.

Now that you know what will cross reference, you might have some luck finding one at a local salvage yard.

That is, if you don't mind using used parts vs buying new.

And you are right...the Caddy is really a nice ride. :D:D

Enjoy. :D:D

Posted Image

Well, I was wondering how to answer this post, then it came to me.

You know how everyone is talking about going green, I firmly believe about keeping as much GREEN in my pocket as possible.

I do not have a problem using good used parts for non-critical systems.

(DO NOT USE USED PARTS FOR BRAKES, STEERING OR SUSPENSION) If used parts break in those areas, you and/or someone else can get killed. Critical systems should always get new parts.

Starters, alternators, temperature control systems, interior parts, body panels, etc, I believe we should do our part to go green. :D

The more we re-use, the smaller the landfill needed and the more green left in our pockets.

Well, thanks for the assistance figuring out the problem. I will let you all know how well the cross reference is after this week.

Paul

Paul,

I am glad that you found the problem and thank you for reporting back.

That may help someone in the future.

Now that you know what will cross reference, you might have some luck finding one at a local salvage yard.

That is, if you don't mind using used parts vs buying new.

And you are right...the Caddy is really a nice ride. :D:D

Enjoy. :D:D

• 1 year later...

I have had this same problem in my 99 STS, since i have picked up a passenger and driver actuator from the junk yard, I checked the passenger side since it was easy and behind the glove box and all was good. Can someone post on here, how do I replace the driver side? its been 90 in Michigan and I have been cooking my butt off. So any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Archived