Oil on the spark plug

1997 Deville 4.6

I have been having a rough start and the car has not been tuned up in some time

I changed the plugs and wires after getting a P0300 code Misfire

When changing the plugs I noticed plug 6 had a fair amount of oil on it

What could this be ?

Do you think this is my problem?

What is the mileage?

You note that "The car has not been tuned in some time".

Just what was done/tuned, and at what mileage?

Have the plugs ever been replaced?

If so are they the factory correct AC Delco 41-950, or another brand/type?

Was the oil ON the spark plug, as on the outside? Or was the oil on the spark plug tip?

If oil on the outside, not a big issue. Wipe it off, verify the gap is .050", wipe out spark plug tube, and reinstall spark plug.

If on the tip this indicates poor, or no ignition, to that cylinder.

Clean the spark plug with spray cleaner, to remove oily deposits, and reinstall it.

Remove the wire from the coil end, and make sure it is clean, clean terminal as required.

Check that the plug wire is firmly connected at both ends.

Restart and see if there has been an improvement.

Post any codes, they may be helpful in tracking down this problem.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

The codes are above P0300 Misfire

I have 110K

I changed the plugs and wies thats when I noticed the oil on the threads

there was no improvement

I noticed there is a recall on the fuel rails where are they located so I can see if they were replaced

I am getting a fuel smell lon start like the engine is flooding

any ideas

The oil is most likely from the O ring seal in the cam cover around the spark plug well. Just wipe up any oil in the well.

If you haven't had the recall done, take it to the dealer and have it done before you have an engine fire. They will also check the FPR for a leak.

The codes are above P0300 Misfire

I have 110K

I changed the plugs and wies thats when I noticed the oil on the threads

there was no improvement

I noticed there is a recall on the fuel rails where are they located so I can see if they were replaced

I am getting a fuel smell lon start like the engine is flooding

any ideas

Oil on threads not a big deal. It is just a little seepage from the spark plug tube seal.

When you changed the wires, did you notice if there was any corrosion on the coil terminals? If not, pull the #6 wire at the coil, and take a look. clean if necessary.

Fuel smell on starting is normal when cold, but not normal on a warm engine. The fuel smell may be a symptom of a leaking fuel rail lines and/or the Fuel Pressure Regulator, if so it needs to be attended to promptly. Drop by a Cadillac dealer and ask them to see if you have the original fuel rails or the replacement one installed. They shouldn't charge for just verifying this condition. I don't know if the FPR is included in the recall, or if this is a separate item that must be paid for.

PS

You could try swapping two coils and see if the misfire goes to a different cylinder. If so you have a faulty coil.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

What is the FPR

The FPR is under the cover on top behind the back fuel rail about center the engine bay. It is silver and round and held in place with a cotter pin(for lack of what it is actually called) holding it in place, it also has a vacuum line attached to it. With engine off, pull the vacuum hose off and have someone turn the key on, engine off. If gasoline spews out the vacuum line connection then it is bad.

Archived