CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

hey gang

i am new to the forum but i am learning a lot just reading your info. i bought a 99 etc eldo a couple of mo ago. checked it out drove it around every thing checked out fine. drove it home about 100 miles, no problem but a few days later on a trip it overheated. I absolutley love this car it has 76k miles and kicks butt whenever you want it to. a gorgeous rocket.

if i add about 1 pint or quart of water a day it wont overheat. ( well usually wont) and i usually can drive it all day. there is no white steam out of the exhaust, no visible signs of a leak. my mech put a presure test on it and it did leak 2 spots the size of a quarter after being tested for hours he seemed to think it was a water pump gasket. however the car is heating up more frequently now. my question to you all after reading a lot of these forums is - does any one know a mech familar with the northstar/ timesert that can fix my car correctly and wont charge a fortune in central florida i dont think i can handle the job and i want someone who is northstar savey. thanks

hey gang

i am new to the forum but i am learning a lot just reading your info. i bought a 99 etc eldo a couple of mo ago. checked it out drove it around every thing checked out fine. drove it home about 100 miles, no problem but a few days later on a trip it overheated. I absolutley love this car it has 76k miles and kicks butt whenever you want it to. a gorgeous rocket.

if i add about 1 pint or quart of water a day it wont overheat. ( well usually wont) and i usually can drive it all day. there is no white steam out of the exhaust, no visible signs of a leak. my mech put a presure test on it and it did leak 2 spots the size of a quarter after being tested for hours he seemed to think it was a water pump gasket. however the car is heating up more frequently now. my question to you all after reading a lot of these forums is - does any one know a mech familar with the northstar/ timesert that can fix my car correctly and wont charge a fortune in central florida i dont think i can handle the job and i want someone who is northstar savey. thanks

When does the car overheat? While sitting in traffic, hard acceleration, etc.? Knowing that may provide some clues. It may be something as simple as a bad fan switch.

Pull the small line at the top of the surge tank that leads to the throttle body area and have someone start the car. Coolant should pee out of the hose. If not, it is clogged and that is the reason the car is overheating. If coolant flows from the hose, Have the coolant tested for combustion gasses by a radiator shop. That will tell you if the head haskets are sound or if they're shot. If the head haskets are OK, then fix the obvious leaks that you have identified.

There is a TON of information in the archives on this also.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You said you add a pint to a quart of WATER per day, WHY WATER?, and not COOLANT?

Are you sure your mix is at least 50% coolant and 50% water

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You said you add a pint to a quart of WATER per day, WHY WATER?, and not COOLANT?

no just recently after the last boil over i just put water in to try to see what was wrong i am sure it is mostly just water in it at this point

hey gang

When does the car overheat? While sitting in traffic, hard acceleration, etc.? Knowing that may provide some clues. It may be something as simple as a bad fan switch.

Pull the small line at the top of the surge tank that leads to the throttle body area and have someone start the car. Coolant should pee out of the hose. If not, it is clogged and that is the reason the car is overheating. If coolant flows from the hose, Have the coolant tested for combustion gasses by a radiator shop. That will tell you if the head haskets are sound or if they're shot. If the head haskets are OK, then fix the obvious leaks that you have identified.

it seems to over heat after a period of time of running whether hiway or at idle. usually at stand still idle though. it seems to be loosing coolant gradually but no evidence - white smoke , visible leaks. i have been adding coolant/ water and running it this way for about 3 weeks now, figure if it was a HG it would have went by now, puzzeling, but this is a bandaid and i want to fix it. i would not trust this car on a trip very far from home

no just recently after the last boil over i just put water in to try to see what was wrong i am sure it is mostly just water in it at this point

will it hurt to run water in this until fix?

hey gang

it seems to over heat after a period of time of running whether hiway or at idle. usually at stand still idle though. it seems to be loosing coolant gradually but no evidence - white smoke , visible leaks. i have been adding coolant/ water and running it this way for about 3 weeks now, figure if it was a HG it would have went by now, puzzeling, but this is a bandaid and i want to fix it. i would not trust this car on a trip very far from home

I would check to see if the cooling fan(s) come on at idle in addition to checking the purge line and coolant for combustion gasses, etc. that I mentioned previously.

Water will boil over at a much lower temperature than coolant mixed 50/50.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

hey gang

I would check to see if the cooling fan(s) come on at idle in addition to checking the purge line and coolant for combustion gasses, etc. that I mentioned previously.

Water will boil over at a much lower temperature than coolant mixed 50/50.

oh i see i will rectify that asap

Archived