CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire squeal on WOT?

acklac7

I frequently do WOT runs to clean out the carbon...I know there have been about a 100 posts about the WOT manuver...Sorry to make another one... But is it normal to burn/squeal the tires @ WOT @ 20mph? they seem to squeal every time...is this normal? also will WOT-ing it at 65...and sending it up to 83 (6000 rpms) get the carbon cleaning done? or do I need to WOT it @ 20...then hold it till 83?...thanks agian acklac

A.J.

This what I do:

When on the freeway ... traffic permitting, I slow down to aroud 40-45 MPH. I put the car in 2nd gear and stand on it. At about 75 MPH I get out of the gas and let the engine slow the car ... and then repeat 3 to 4 times or until I don't see any more carbon. It stays in 2nd gear the whole time.

Hope this helps!

Jim

But is it normal to burn/squeal the tires @ WOT @ 20mph? they seem to squeal every time...is this normal?

Absolutely! Mine spin every time. If it's dry, it's usually just one that spins, and the traction control will take over. If it's wet, they sometimes both spin in unison, and in that situation, the traction control doesn't realize they're spinning, and the car will slide off the road if you're not careful (especially if the road is crowned).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Mine did with the Goodyears, but since I put the Touring T/A HR's on, it will barely spin them from a stop, it won't even engage traction control with them!!! Before it would smoke the tires, now it kind of bogs a little then spins very little and goes like hell! B)

Given the responses above about how this condition was corrected with better tires, I am going to guess that you have the Michelin XW4s on it, I find them to be poor traction wise. Mike

Yes to the tire spin here, the first time I nailed it when I hit an intersection that the light turned yellow it burned the tires all the way across the intersetion. Then when a guy with a GT mustang was trying to show off to his girl next to me I hit it and burnt em you should have seen the look on his and his girls face. I do have crappy tires though, and will be getting new before winter, 3 different tires on this car right now ,thats how I bought it.

Jeff

Yeah, it is fun. On my 93 STS, I had to manually install a Traction Control cut off switch so I could turn it off when I wanted to. The OFF switch did not come around until 95 cars I think, so I made one, work well. My farovite thing in a race is to hear the tires chirp when it hits 2nd gear, I love that option when you start out in 2nd. My best 1/4 mile time is 14.9 with the speaker in the back

I have the symmetry tires and they don't squeal or burn much when u nail it although they do a little.. they sure as hell squeal when I go around corners fast though.. I hate that :)

As for the traction control....... man i wish i could disable it on my 99 without it locking out 1st gear.. as for the 2nd gear chirp...... i found that it actually shifts my car arounf 6k rpm when it's in 2nd, but if i put it in 3rd it doesn't chirp but it shifts into 2nd at 6500 rpm .. wonder why this is so?

I have the symmetry tires and they don't squeal or burn much when u nail it although they do a little.. they sure as hell squeal when I go around corners fast though.. I hate that :)

As for the traction control....... man i wish i could disable it on my 99 without it locking out 1st gear..  as for the 2nd gear chirp...... i found that it actually shifts my car arounf 6k rpm when it's in 2nd, but if i put it in 3rd it doesn't chirp but it shifts into 2nd at 6500 rpm .. wonder why this is so?

When it goes to 6500, it may be past it's power peak and not making enough torque to chirp the tires, just a thought.

I have 85K on the original XW4's and never get so much as a chirp from them doing a standing start WOT.

Larry, I was reluctant to post my statement as I know that you and I have had this discussion regarding the XW4s before and I don't like to trounce a product someone else is happy with. I have them on my car at 56K and they slip and slide all over in wet weather, and break very easily on dry ground. I created quite a scene today making a quick turn spinning the wheels unintentionally.

However you have to acknowledge that Michelin themselves gives them a mediocre rating, see this link... Mike

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/M...retype=0&tire=5

I have 85K on the original XW4's and never get so much as a chirp from them doing a standing start WOT.

Larry, I was reluctant to post my statement as I know that you and I have had this discussion regarding the XW4s before and I don't like to trounce a product someone else is happy with. I have them on my car at 56K and they slip and slide all over in wet weather, and break very easily on dry ground. I created quite a scene today making a quick turn spinning the wheels unintentionally.

However you have to acknowledge that Michelin themselves gives them a mediocre rating, see this link... Mike

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/M...retype=0&tire=5

Mike,

No offence taken. I have heard XW4's bum rapped on this site before. For the life of me I can't figure why. They have performed well for me though I don't "drive it like I stole it" (sorry Bill). Any tire I can get 90K out of, I am happy with. :) "Trouncing" doesn't bother me. I have no allegiance to Michelin. Maybe it has something to do with the suspension, though I doubt there is much difference between your car and mine. I have read Michelins rating and was really surprised. Maybe it's just my driving style and I don't demand that much from the performance wise.

Why they don't spin with WOT starts BTSOM :P

Larry, who knows maybe its the composition of the roads in your area. I am not big on WOT starts either, and have been accused of driving like a wuss.. I am hoping to buy the Hydroedge or the new Goodyear Aqua tire soon so we will see if that makes a difference. Mike

With all of this discussion on WOT starts and spinning of the front wheels has any of you guys experenced broken motor mounts from any of this?

I am a big fan of the Northstar, own two, 96 and 97 and both have had broken mounts. The 97 has two that need replacing right now. The STS has Goodyear Eagles and the Deville has Goodrich T/A's.

sebring06RTP.jpg

I am hoping to buy the Hydroedge ...

Scotty,

I just replaced tires on '99 300m with Hydroedge...

Compared to the two previous sets of Badyears, they are AWESOME in the rain...

When I try to spin them on wet pavement, they sound like a GIANT squeegee...

It takes so long to get them to break loose, the traction control has time to take over...The Badyears would spin at will...Not the HydoEdges!

I Plan to buy them for the STS as soon as the tires need replaced, 85,k mile warranty..

my $.02

:D

Well when it came time for new tires I thought I'd try some "local" tires for a change. Maybe it's my way of helping to keep jobs here or a little flag waving... who knows. What I ended up with are Dunlop SP5000 (around here they're referred to by some as "police tires"). AA traction, A temp, all season, 340 wear rating. Very very nice performance and really feel the road for an all season. May be a little stiff ride for some but i don't drink hot coffee while I'm driving. I had Eagle GAs and 4+4s previous..... not bad but not as good as the sp5000s. Of course that's my subjective point of view.

-kg

206,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I'd really like to try the Hydroedges next set of tires. I've read some reports on Tirerack.com regarding the tires being hard to balance (repeat trips to the tire shop for a balance) and being a little harsh on the ride. With a treadwear of 760, I can understand the harsh ride. Have you experienced any of that on your Chrysler?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I am hoping to buy the Hydroedge ...

Scotty,

Compared to the two previous sets of Badyears, they are AWESOME in the rain...

When I try to spin them on wet pavement, they sound like a GIANT squeegee...

It takes so long to get them to break loose, the traction control has time to take over...The Badyears would spin at will...Not the HydoEdges!

I Plan to buy them for the STS as soon as the tires need replaced, 85,k mile warranty..

my $.02

:D

Beautiful, that floats my boat! LoL...... They DO look AWESOME! They will be MINE! Mike

With all of this discussion on WOT starts and spinning of the front wheels has any of you guys experenced broken motor mounts from any of this?

I am a big fan of the Northstar, own two, 96 and 97 and both have had broken mounts. The 97 has two that need replacing right now. The STS has Goodyear Eagles and the Deville has Goodrich T/A's.

I have not, but comparitively here, I am a wusss....LOL... I recall as an 18 yo however racing my friend's Camaro RS 350 4-speed, with my Dad 64 Caddy Coupe 429 ci with the Carter AFB and when I hit it, the engine mount let loose and through the tranny out of gear and bent the fan. I only went 2o feet, and of course was ridiculed... LOL... Needless to say my Dad was curious how that happened! That was one of those Beavis and Butthead moments... Mike

Well when it came time for new tires I thought I'd try some "local" tires for a change. Maybe it's my way of helping to keep jobs here or a little flag waving... who knows. What I ended up with are Dunlop SP5000 (around here they're referred to by some as "police tires"). AA traction, A temp, all season, 340 wear rating. Very very nice performance and really feel the road for an all season. May be a little stiff ride for some but i don't drink hot coffee while I'm driving. I had Eagle GAs and 4+4s previous..... not bad but not as good as the sp5000s. Of course that's my subjective point of view.

-kg

206,000 miles

Dunlop makes a great tire. One of the tires that has caught my eye recently was the Hankook, it has a very aggressive looking tread. Mike

No I have never expirienced a broken motor mount, but like Mike, I don't beat on my cars very often. Just an occassional WOT. I can only imagine the stress put on the motor mounts, not to mention the rest of the drive train.

I've read some reports on Tirerack.com regarding the tires being hard to balance (repeat trips to the tire shop for a balance) and being a little harsh on the ride.  With a treadwear of 760, I can understand the harsh ride.  Have you experienced any of that on your Chrysler?

Jadcock,

Balance has not been a problem with these tires, I actually love the ride. I drive the 300m a lot since my daughter is out of school for the summer, (saving the STS for trips to NASCAR tracks), so I tend to get used to the somewhat harsh ride of the car. I do not think it rides any worse with the HydroEdge than it did with the BadYears... The badYears couldn't keep a rim seal more than about 1000 miles! Constantly getting them glued back to the rim. Seems they rim spin on spirited launches. I ruined/destroyed/totalled (4) BadYears in three years at highway speeds, technition said they tend to implode. They sure did! I recommend the HydroEdge right now, but I only have ~5,000 miles on them... Originally I was paying $145 for the BadYears, now they are down to ~$109. The Hydro were $129.

Well it's lunch time and it is raining! Going for the squeegee lunch {launch}! (pun intended) :lol:

Archived