CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 sls no overdrive

i just bought a 2001 seville sls and i noticed it turns alot of rpm on the interstate then i tried moving it from drive to third gear and all that happens is the tcc unlocks so their is no overdrive working on this car can anybody tell me how to check codes and reset them and what could be the problem and how hard to fix? thanks

I also have a 2001 seville sls. I was driving on the highway for about 30 miles and my check engine light came on. So i took it to my local garage and they determined the tcc was stuck off. he simply reset the codes and i drove off. I havent had a problem since.

hope this helps B)

RPMs at 55 with an SLS should be 2000 or below I would think. I think the B3055 code is "Key not Present".

If the trans is not shifting into 4th gear, it could be the shift solenoids, the 4th gear servo seal, or a burned 4th gear band. Have you checked the trans fluid to make sure it is at the proper level?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

yeah the trans fluid is full it smells a little bad but ive seen worse i took it to the shop they put it on scanner and said there wasnt anything showing to be wrong with it. but the main guy that works their wasnt their to tell me anymore about it. one guy said maybe a rebuild was gonna have to be done.. other then no overdrive it drives and shifts perfect touch the brake pedal and it kicks the TCC off and everything. just no darn overdrive...

As I recall, the 3-4 shift solonoid is a aproblem on that trans. Find someone that knows that trans and has a scan tool to check it out. I do not believe there is any way to actuate or view trans solonoids from the on-board diagnostics. Does anybody here know if this can be done? It is overall a very reliable transmission mechanically. Many of us here pound on them reqularly and they love it!!

took it to the trans shop.. he drove it with scanner on and said that the solenoids were all working and said that the computer sees that it is supposed to be in 4th gear scanner said it was in fourth gear but it isn't and also when its in fourth gear according to the scanner anyway the pressure solenoid drops off and doesnt read anything anymore but in all other gears the pressure solenoid reads correct and goes up and down like it should and he also said that if it was a shift solenoid it wouldnt go into one of the other gears as well he says that since it says its in fourth gear and the solenoids are reading and working correct then it must have an internal problem but he really cant say for sure i said something about the servo and its O-ring he said it was possible. does anybody have any ideas? and what would cause the pressure solenoid to not read only while it was supposed to be in 4th gear according to the computer and the shift solenoids? thanks for the help..

I need to know if anyone else on here has had the problem of no fourth gear but all other gears and stuff worked, and changed the shift solenoid and regained fourth gear? I am willing to change them If it will actually be a possibility that it will fix it !

You never told us what RPM you are turning at a given speed so it is hard to tell if it is a TCC solenoid or a shift solenoid. Either should set a DTC though if it failed.

4th doesn't work. Tcc does. Trans shop said the 4th gear solenoid says it's in fourth gear when it's not. No codes what so ever on board or with the scanner. It's like 2500 rpm at 60 mph. Touch the brake pedal and the tcc unlocks and then right back locked when you let off brake. It's 4th gear that don't work. And when the scanner/ PCM says it's in 4th gear it's not and also the pressure solenoid reads nothing only when the computer says it's in fourth gear. Other then that it works and reads right in all other gears.

Transmission guy said if the shift solenoid was bad it wouldn't have third gear either. That's why I wanted someone who has had the same problem and had it fixed to tell me what it was wether it was the solenoid or servo or the 4th gear band or what!

As I recall, the 3-4 shift solonoid is a a problem on that trans.

Not on a 2001 - the shift solenoids were suspect for the model year 1995 and earlier. I think 1996+ used the redesigned mounting bracket that eliminated breakage.

scanner says their isn't anything wrong anywhere with the car.. no codes at all

Obviously not shifting into 4th gear so there is a problem. As I mentioned earlier, there are three things that would prevent it from shifting into 4th gear: a bad shift solenoid, a bad 4th gear servo seal, or a cooked 4th gear band. It probably wouldn't hurt to pull the servo cover and inspect the piston seal. You should be able to see if the shift solenoid is OK by dropping the pan and inspecting the solenoid cases. You need to remove the valve body to replace the solenoids but you can inspect the solenoid housings by dropping the pan and having a look. If it were my car, I would inspect the 4th gear servo piston seal, then check the shift solenoid housings. If both check good, then digging deeper into the transmission will be required. On the chance that it is the 4th gear servo piston seal, if you have to drive the car, keep it in D3 so that 4th gear doesn't apply. You don't want to cook the 4th gear band...

You're definitely not in 4th gear at those RPMS. I would suspect the shift solenoid is bad.

Maybe but maybe not.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

From the shop manual:

No Fourth Gear

1) 1-2 shift solenoid inoperative, debris, pinched wires.

2) 4th gear band burned or slipping.

3) 4th servo pin broken or siezed.

4) 4th servo piston damaged.

5) 4th servo seals rolled, cut or damaged.

6) 4th servo cover cracked.

7) 3-4 shift valve bore plug misassembled.

I doubt the servo cover is cracked or it would be leaking fluid to the pavement. If no one has been inside the trans before you bought the car, then I wouldn't suspect 3, 4, or 7. It could be one of the shift solenoids - even though the scanner says it is applying (functioning electrically) it could be bound up mechanically and therefore not applying even though the PCM and scan tool think it is.

From what you've posted, I wouldn't think a full rebuild is necessary. It sounds like the problem can be fixed with the trans still in the car. Time to drop the pan and check the solenoid(s)...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

To anwer your question, my tranny guy explained to me that 4th gear is engged by the combination of solenoids on / off If you are getting 1-2 and3, you should get 4th.

Recently had a similar issue. no codes, scan checks were good, intermittantno OD, dropped out of 4th under load, 1st 2nd, 3rd gear okay. Ended up being the torque converter after all the checking.

See post -http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20770&hl=

Has a lot of good input from the folks here including diagrams of 4th gear servo piston.

Let us know how it goes

my question still i suppose is would the pressure solenoid read nothing while its supposed to be in 4th gear according to the pcm if its the shift solenoid or servo or maybe all the above.... i thank all of you for your help tomorrow im gonna pull it apart and see what going on i guess i hate to but its gotta be done i guess..

i pulled the servo out today like everubody said i probably should but their isn't anything wrong there the piston and pin and clip along with the o-ring is all just fine.. so I guess the next thing to do is pull the pan and look at the solenoids huh? any tips on what im looking for on or around thge solenoids that would cause me to see that thats the problem?

The problem as I understand it was that the solenoid case would crack under pressure. The replacement kits included a hold down bracket, but I believe that became standard long before '02.

Archived