CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Code E046 1992 Eldorado 4.9L V8

seanr1976

hey everybody

yesterday, i put a new idle speed controller in my eldorado. the car ran very nicely yesterday. the car ran very nicely this morning as well. this afternoon, however, something changed. i went for a drive, and when i turned the car off, i heard something banging under the hood. the idle speed controller was rapidly pressing and releasing the throttle--while the car was turned OFF. when i turn the car back on, the ISC stops its nonsense, but when i turn the car off, the ISC again rapidly presses and releases the throttle for several seconds after i'm out of the car.

i pressed the 'off' and 'warm' buttons on my dash, and the current trouble code is E046. i've looked around on here, and everybody keeps saying that that code has to do with a fuel imbalance between the right and left banks. i'm wondering, however, if my problem could be related to the new idle speed controller or if something else is wrong.

any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

----------------------

1992 Eldorado 4.9L

hey everybody

yesterday, i put a new idle speed controller in my eldorado. the car ran very nicely yesterday. the car ran very nicely this morning as well. this afternoon, however, something changed. i went for a drive, and when i turned the car off, i heard something banging under the hood. the idle speed controller was rapidly pressing and releasing the throttle--while the car was turned OFF. when i turn the car back on, the ISC stops its nonsense, but when i turn the car off, the ISC again rapidly presses and releases the throttle for several seconds after i'm out of the car.

i pressed the 'off' and 'warm' buttons on my dash, and the current trouble code is E046. i've looked around on here, and everybody keeps saying that that code has to do with a fuel imbalance between the right and left banks. i'm wondering, however, if my problem could be related to the new idle speed controller or if something else is wrong.

any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

ISC motor adjusts for a few seconds after turning the engine off. That's normal. The code set has nothing to do with idle speed.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The imbalance could have something to do with the O2 Sensor. I had a defective O2 Sensor in my '94 Eldorado and eventually the sensor caused an imbalance and the P046 code to set. Once I replace the O2 Sensor no more P046 Code. However, I would think you would see the E013 code.

P046 (E046) Right to Left Bank Fueling Difference

P013 (E013) Right Oxygen Sensor Not Ready

i never received the E013 code, just the E046 code. in any case, i cleared all codes and the SES light went out. the ISC is still rattling on and off after i turn the car off, but i guess that's normal.

thank you for your help.

----------------------

1992 Eldorado 4.9L

i never received the E013 code, just the E046 code. in any case, i cleared all codes and the SES light went out. the ISC is still rattling on and off after i turn the car off, but i guess that's normal.

thank you for your help.

The idle speed control should not rattle around when the ignition is turned off. It should set up for the next start but it should not ratchet for any length of time. Are you sure you have the plunger adjusted properly? There is a ton of information on the ISC in the archives.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Did you adjust the ISC motor after installing it?

The E046 might be a fussy O2 sensor that will clear itself or a sensor may be bad. The manual and common sense also indicate a possible leaky injector, fouled plug(s), or a vacuum leak. Clear the code and if it reappears, post an inquiry and I or someone else can email you the relevant manual pages. You might want to check Ebay for a manual of your own. A seventeen year old car is going to need work at some point.

of course you are right. i have already replaced the injectors on cylinders 1 and 2 (about a year ago), and i do not see any fuel leaking onto the manifold (i'm assuming that's where i would see a leak if one was there). i did check some vaccuum hoses yesterday, and the ones i saw appeared to be ok. when i installed the ISC, i adjusted the screw to about the same place that the old ISC had it, but this new motor has pulled the screw in deeper--i'm assuming (and yes, i know what happens when you assume) that the ISC and the ECM know what they're doing, but maybe there is a problem there. since the ISC (even with the short amount of screw sticking out of it) is making contact with the throttle, i'm guessing that the ISC is doing what it thinks is right. the amount of rattle that i hear after turning the car off is getting to be less and less.

i would not be surprised if i need new O2 sensors, but i did think it odd that the very day i started to have ISC issues, i would also have the E046 code show up. i could not help but think the two were related. in any case, i do not have the E046 code right now, and my 'service engine' light is out. if the new idle speed controller continues to be screwy, then i will check back and see if there's something else i should do.

i appreciate everybody's suggestions and advice. thank you all very much.

----------------------

1992 Eldorado 4.9L

• 4 months later...

Thank you for these very interesting notes about this problem.

I have sometimes the same problem on my 1992 Seville STS, 4.9 L I made a shunt between the A and B connectors, I read 046, I ordered a new fuel regulator, I am waiting from the USA.

So I would like to know where is the 02 sensor, I never seen the 013 code, but another one about the clutch.

When the engine does not run well, by any different weather, simultaneously "the gearbox seems to be ready to cross the hood", I love the american cartoons, but I am not in ! :D

It is very strange, but when it runs well, it is great ! like all Cadillacs ;)

The gearbox shifts smoothly, it had been replaced by an original Goodwrench.

I put new injectors, two was completely dead, new ignition coil, new original "platinum plugs" AC Delco, new fuel filter, air filter

I hope this problem will be over with this new fuel regulator...

If somebody has another idea...

Excuse me for my english, I don't practice everyday, here in south of France... ^_^

My car has more than 170 000 miles, and it is in very condition, I love it !

I bought it with this problem, in october 2007, I have the time to repair it, because I don't use it often, but I would like this problem disappear.

Archived