CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

high idle too low

donji55

I have just bought a 1990 brougham with an olds 307 engine.When the car is warmed up 20 minutes approx. the idle drops so that when i stop at a light or even drive in heavy traffic the car stalls.The car starts right up but i have to keep it in neutral or the car stalls.As soon as i put the car in gear again if i'm not on the gas it stalls again

Sounds like you just need to adjust the idle a little.

I'm thinking there is a "Low" idle for when the engine is cool, and a "High" idle for when the engine is warmed up.Also i'm not sure where the two different idle adjustments are located on the 4 barrel if i'm right.

Sounds like you just need to adjust the idle a little.

I'm thinking there is a "Low" idle for when the engine is cool, and a "High" idle for when the engine is warmed up.Also i'm not sure where the two different idle adjustments are located on the 4 barrel if i'm right.

If it has the four barrel carburetor...

Remove the air cleaner...Locate the linkage on the drivers side of the carburetor where the throttle cable hooks to it.

The idle screw is inboard....under the linkage....accessible from the front.

It is sometimes hard to see.

Turn it "IN" about 1/4 turn.

Posted Image

The high idle is controlled by the high idle cam. Watch the linkage closely and if it is all adjusted correctly, when you open the throttle once, you set the high idle cam. you will see the choke snap closed and the high idle cab swing into place holding the idle adjustment screw at a higher position. Carbs are very finicky. There are several adjustments and they all need to be correct for it to start and run properly. Can't say that I miss them very much.

Archived