CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bulbs behind HVAC / Rear defog are out

winterset

Well, 13 years has been a long enough run. I noticed last night that about 4 HVAC bulbs are out. I wanted to put the RW defoger on, and didn't know which button to press. - yeah I know after 13 years, you think I would know. but if it's easy to replace, I'll do it. if I have to remove the speedo cluster, and solder, then I'll study where the buttons are and leave it. BTW the trunk release was out, and I pulled out the trunk/gas cluster (no tools required) and the bulb went on by itself, so I put it back, and all is OK there .

Has anyone else needed to do this?

I did replace a bunch of bulbs in my 99 Tahoe a few years ago....

The dash had to come apart... there was some soldering required. I'm not saying you would have to solder. I'm merely preparing you for the possibility.

I'm not intimately familiar with the STS, so, I can't speak to that specifically. My impression is, there are a few bulbs that are non-replaceable, and you need to buy a part....

However....

I did find someone online who had a lot of the bulbs I needed. They did include instructions on their website...

I work nights, so I'm always driving around in the dark... gets REAL annoying driving in a dark cockpit... So, I was motivated to do it.

The average person could probably live without these lights day in & day out...

The other disclaimer I have to add is, I am an electronics tech for a living, so, I'm not really afraid of this kind of work.

But I did get it done, and I was very pleased with the results. It wasn't necessarily easy, but with patience, and a little work, it is doable.

There's probably interior shops or car stereo repair places in your area where they might fix it for you, also.... There is one stereo repair place sort of near me where the guys seem really good, they care, and they'll fix almost anything.

I did replace a bunch of bulbs in my 99 Tahoe a few years ago....

The dash had to come apart... there was some soldering required. I'm not saying you would have to solder. I'm merely preparing you for the possibility.

I'm not intimately familiar with the STS, so, I can't speak to that specifically. My impression is, there are a few bulbs that are non-replaceable, and you need to buy a part....

However....

I did find someone online who had a lot of the bulbs I needed. They did include instructions on their website...

I work nights, so I'm always driving around in the dark... gets REAL annoying driving in a dark cockpit... So, I was motivated to do it.

The average person could probably live without these lights day in & day out...

The other disclaimer I have to add is, I am an electronics tech for a living, so, I'm not really afraid of this kind of work.

But I did get it done, and I was very pleased with the results. It wasn't necessarily easy, but with patience, and a little work, it is doable.

There's probably interior shops or car stereo repair places in your area where they might fix it for you, also.... There is one stereo repair place sort of near me where the guys seem really good, they care, and they'll fix almost anything.

I'm looking for the bulbs that are in the door panel that shine down on the power window switches. They are on a plastic push in and turn 90 degrees to install. Radio Shack has some bulbs but they are too small for the green bulb cover to stay on. There are no markings on the existing bulbs.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just (like 20 minutes ago... literally) replaced the lights behind my heated seat switch and the trac control switch... easy project... the bulbs are Radio Shack part number 2721154.. they are 12V 50mA bulbs and are a direct "delco" replacement... they are about $1.50 each and yes they are soldiered in. To get the "blue cover" to stay on you need to transfer the white/orange base from the dead bulb to the new one... A 5 min job tops.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived