CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1988 eldorado overheats

albert4vr

How's everyone,

Need some help.

I have an 88 eldorado, I have noticed an overheat issue. I checked around and noticed the fans were not comming on. temps got to around 240. I know the fans should come on around 195. I checked the relays the are good. I disconnected the temp sensor and fans come on. I replaced the sensor fans still do not come on. I removed the sensor and used a lighter to heat up the sensor to see if fans come on. I got the temp all the way to 280 and fans did not come one nor did I get a temps alarm. Can someone help?

Press Warmer and Off simultaneously for a few seconds untill trouble codes show up on the driver information center. Write them down and post here.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

How's everyone,

Need some help.

I have an 88 eldorado, I have noticed an overheat issue. I checked around and noticed the fans were not comming on. temps got to around 240. I know the fans should come on around 195. I checked the relays the are good. I disconnected the temp sensor and fans come on. I replaced the sensor fans still do not come on. I removed the sensor and used a lighter to heat up the sensor to see if fans come on. I got the temp all the way to 280 and fans did not come one nor did I get a temps alarm. Can someone help?

Did I miss something here? Were some replies deleted?

1988 Caddy codes here: http://www.cadillacforum.com/m_11904/tm.htm

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Okay. It was a double post. Caught me double dumb. :blink:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Press Warmer and Off simultaneously for a few seconds untill trouble codes show up on the driver information center. Write them down and post here.

code ed 15

E15 - Open Coolant Temp. Sensor

Check the connections and wiring to the sensor. It is strange you do not have other issues because of this fault.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

How's everyone,

Need some help.

Did I miss something here? Were some replies deleted?

1988 Caddy codes here: http://www.cadillacforum.com/m_11904/tm.htm

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Okay. It was a double post. Caught me double dumb. :blink:

thanks

code ed 15

E15 - Open Coolant Temp. Sensor

Check the connections and wiring to the sensor. It is strange you do not have other issues because of this fault.

If I remember correctly 240 F is high for the engine but not alarmingly high. I once managed to go to 240 F because of air-pockets in the cooling system after changing engine coolant. No "engine hot" message..probably not until 245-250 F. (I believe the temperature is mentioned in the owners manual).

It sure seems like a temperature sending unit is going south.

Archived