CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GAS

Ranger

i should have added that if one has to commute over 10-15 miles a day roundtrip and mostworking folks do, it's a real burden paying 2.50 a gallon. it's shear terror to not be able to get gas. my heart goes out to anyone having to commute long distances with the price of gas being what it is and god only knowing where it will be by september. jackg 90seville 94k

My commute is 40 miles round trip, and I know that's not as much as some here. Gas prices are higher, yeah, but I just accept that as part of life. Prices go up and down, and you can see by that website, that with inflation factored in, gas prices have varied only within a narrow window for the past couple of decades.

I don't have time to go lobby on Capitol Hill about it, so I don't feel right bellyaching to the local rags about it either. They way I see it, I work hard at work and work hard at home; I take care of my family and everything else is just a detail. Life is too short to dwell on something like the price of a gallon of gasoline!

P.S.: I'm not rich either. Our household income (my job alone) is only 63% of the median income in North Carolina. We have a nice 10-year-old ranch on a 1/4 acre lot. 2 car garage and a shed in the back. No car payments, because we choose to have none. My daily driver is a '95 Nissan truck with 184,000 miles on it (runs like new). We make sacrifices to live like we do. We don't go out to eat every night like some. We don't go on a cruise each summer like some may. The price of gas has gone up, so we increase what we put in the "Auto" budget every check. With that increase, we've got to decrease something else. Maybe split the difference between bills (maybe there's a surplus there) and spending money. Or something else, whatever. And we move on.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I take care of my family and everything else is just a detail. Life is too short to dwell on something like the price of a gallon of gasoline

I have to agree with Jadcock here, I know I had my two cents worth above, but life is to short to dwell on gas prices.

I love my STS and the power of the northstar, It is my only vice if you consider it one.

So no matter what you will not see my STS show up on a used car lot.

John

Morika,

The EPA inflated the gas milage of Hybrids. Can we trust the government anymore.

Do you have a reference to this information. I have not read anything about the EPA inflating the hybrid milage numbers.

I have read that as magazines test hybrids they are getting about 1/2 the rated milage.

Vince P

1994 SLS

148,000 miles

Hwy mpg ---30mpg

Morika,

The EPA inflated the gas milage of Hybrids. Can we trust the government anymore.

Do you have a reference to this information. I have not read anything about the EPA inflating the hybrid milage numbers.

I have read that as magazines test hybrids they are getting about 1/2 the rated milage.

Vince P

1994 SLS

148,000 miles

Hwy mpg ---30mpg

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,...w=wn_21techhead

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

JBuckley,

I agree with you! Lets not waste brain cells worrying about the price of gas...WE ARE LIVING FREE IN THE BEST COUNTRY ON THIS OR ANY PLANET! Enjoy life...the gas will take care of itself...did anyone see the latest Natinal Geographic? Cover story: The End of Cheap Gas!

Still, LOVE YOUR FREEDOM!! People are dying everyday so you can earn as much free money as you need to rip through the gears in your NorthStar powered cruiser! I have been trying to determine for fun what it costs to go 1 - 100 with my Northstar...Maybe 25 cents...Maybe 50 cents? Can't get that freedom anywhere else on this planet! Enjoy and quit Bitchin'...

my2cents

Whadayamean it's not really relative? People are bitching about record profits here, thinking that somehow the oil companies are raping the american public. It's very relative. Let's go down the list for comparison.

Oil:

First you have to find it, then you have to drill a well, then you have to pump it out, then you have to transport it to a refinery, then you have to refine it..getting somewhat less than 42 gallons of gas out of that (42 gallon) barrel of crude. This uses energy...lots of energy. Then you have to get permits for the air pollution you make doing it. This does not include the cost of bulding, permitting, and maintaining that refinery. Each year you must pay for new air permits, every couple of years you get to pay for new water discharge permits. Every pound of waste material that is disposed of properly costs money. You have to hire employees, lots of them to run a refinery, to test the product, you need to train them, comply with OSHA regs, and the newest fall protection standards. You need to buy computers, hire IT people. Hire a group af people to purchase crude, and watch the market so they don't get burnt on the next price increase from OPEC. Then you need to store the finished product in tanks, which need maintenance, and cleaning, and more permits. Then you get to ship it from the refinery. So an oil company gets to buy more permits for the pipelines, and the barges, and towboats to push those barges, and inspectors for the pipeline, and maintenance people, and people to load barges, more training, and people to watch corrosion rates, and fix leaks if they occur and pay fines if they do leak. Or trucks to transport it to the stations and get licences for them and permits and air monitoring tests. Then it gets to a terminal, which has been scheduled by another group of people so terminals don't run out...or run over, where more tanks are required to store it. Each tank needs people to check them daily, and people to fill the tanks, and computers to monitor them for leaks constantly, and autodialers to notify workers if there is a leak. Then Vapor Recovery Units so nobody smells gas fumes, maintenance on them. Then Facility Response Plans, and Coast Guard Inspections, and Secuity Plans, and Security Cameras, and Guard Services, and Oil Contaiment equipment in case there is a spill. More water discharge permits, monthly testing of NPDES discharges, Quality Control for the product, Microbial Treatment for the tanks, New Gasoline sender units for cars that wern't made correctly to begin with. Then you get to ship it to gas stations, which you bought, with more permits, more maintenance, more pumps, people to take the money, more training, driveaways, robberies, computers to order your product, more Vapor Recovery Systems, signs lighting, paint, fire fighting equipment, State Fire Marshal Inspections (they're not free either) Meter Calibrations, nozzels, hoses, a coffee machine. THEN you get to sell it to the public. Who bitches cause the prices are high. AND I left out a LOT.

Now lets try water:

Pump it out of a well,build a treatment plant, buy a permit, throw some chlorine in it, filter it, buy a $.05 bottle, fill it, truck it to a gas station, sell it for $5.00 per gallon. If it gets spilled on the ground nobody looks twice. I'm sure I left out a little.

What I find amazing is why anyone would go through the trouble to sell gasoline in the first place! There had BETTER be money in it, just to be able to sell it to begin with.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

A good friend sent this to me from England....

Notice at filling station:

FREE CAR WITH

EVERY 150 GALLONS

LOL!!!!!! :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived