CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Best White Vinyl Top Cleaner?

theGman

Since we're on a roll of Cad cosmetics....does anyone know what will really clean a white vinyl top? I have one on the 95 Fleetwood recently purchased and (hope this doesn't sound too dumb)

I don't know how "white" a new vinyl top is supposed to be, in comparison to the white paint on the Wood. I guess I'll have to stop at a new car dealer if I happen to see a new white/white vehicle for comparison.

Any special tricks for getting/keeping vinyl tops looking good?

Thanks in advance.

Heck, I think I'll go wash the black Seville...no vinyl top, and about half the time of doing Mr Moby, the Fleetwood. Those cars are really large!

Since we're on a roll of Cad cosmetics....does anyone know what will really clean a white vinyl top?  I have one on the 95 Fleetwood recently purchased and (hope this doesn't sound too dumb)

I don't know how "white" a new vinyl top is supposed to be, in comparison to the white paint on the Wood.  I guess I'll have to stop at a new car dealer if I happen to see a new white/white vehicle for comparison.

Any special tricks for getting/keeping vinyl tops looking good?

Thanks in advance. 

Heck, I think I'll go wash the black Seville...no vinyl top, and about half the time of doing Mr Moby, the Fleetwood.  Those cars are really large!

I can't speak for white, but I do clean and care for black vinyl tops on '69 Chevelle, el Camino and a '68 Camero. After a good, mild soap and water treatment, I use good old, yep, Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, and a spray of the Aerospace 303 for UV protection that I mentioned in the recent tire/shine posts.

The combo works great, and my cars see a LOT of hot California sun. It really doesn't take a lot of vasoline, btw, just a little starting at each corner, and worked evenly in then buffed, twice a year.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

If the top is really dirty, you may want to consider use Black and Decker's scumbuster with one of the more gentle brush attachments to help you scrub the top, but don't scrub too much. Use the same solution you would use for washing your car. NEVER use a product that will harm your paint or strip wax. As you wash the roof, whatever is on the roof will run down the sides and all over the car and paint.

Remember to replace any oils lost from the vinyl as often as possible with a product specifically made for this. Zymol makes a product to help soften and protect vinyl while replenishing its' oils.

http://www.zymol.com/vinyl2.htm

It contains: Lemon Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Sesame Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil), Cocoamide, Lecithin and Xanthan Gum.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I have had both white & black vinyl tops but can't recall what I used to use to clean them (it's been a while). I do remember using black liquid shoe polish as a dressing. Worked great. Also used to use liquid floor wax. Also worked great. Neither ran.

It has been a few years since my last vinyl top which happened to be black. I used to be able to always get it back to new by using a good but relatively soft scrub brush and a lot of tide in warm water and a lot of elbow grease.

Having said this the real secret in returning the roof to showroom condition was a product made by Turtle Wax called Vinyl Top dress or coating. It may not be available anymore but it was just an acrylic coating much the same as you would you use for a floor and in fact this is exactly what a friend of mine always used and his roof always looked terrific as I remember it.

I like the Turtle Wax "Vinyl Top Wax" but have not seen it in years. I am leary about experimenting as I'd hate to ruin my top.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived