CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing PS lines

Dave in Texas

I'm attempting to replace the PS lines in my '87 DeVille due to old age of the rubber hoses. Bought both lines from RockAuto...Edleman brand. First problem I've run into is the method of installing the return line. The only way I can see it going in is from over the top of the engine. The OEM line had a saddle-bend around the O2 sensor, but the replacement line doesn't. Has anyone done this job and can confirm the 'over the top of the engine' installation method is correct?

Second question: the pressure-hose connection at the gear. 18mm is what I measure, but what tool is needed to loosen that nut? No room for an open-end wrench. Is the correct tool a crow-foot wrench? I can't find any useful info in the FSM, so I hoped some folks here had some insight. Thank you

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

I'm attempting to replace the PS lines in my '87 DeVille due to old age of the rubber hoses. Bought both lines from RockAuto...Edleman brand. First problem I've run into is the method of installing the return line. The only way I can see it going in is from over the top of the engine. The OEM line had a saddle-bend around the O2 sensor, but the replacement line doesn't. Has anyone done this job and can confirm the 'over the top of the engine' installation method is correct?

Second question: the pressure-hose connection at the gear. 18mm is what I measure, but what tool is needed to loosen that nut? No room for an open-end wrench. Is the correct tool a crow-foot wrench? I can't find any useful info in the FSM, so I hoped some folks here had some insight. Thank you

There is a tool that is called a "tubing crowfoot" that should be used in your situation. I know that Snap-On tools makes them. I have a set in standard, but not metric.

In this situation, a regular crowfoot will most likely round off the hex fitting causing a LOT of headaches.

Spray the fitting with a good penetrating oil a day or two before you attempt to remove it. Then make sure that your tubing crowfoot is ALL the way onto the fitting. If it does not come loose try to alternate loosing and tightening it to help break it free.

If you cannot locate a tubing crowfoot, you may have to cut the line off just above the fitting and then use a 6 point socket on the fitting. Use a tubing cutter and NOT a hack saw to cut the tubing.

BEFORE you cut the tubing, be POSITIVE that you have the correct replacement line!

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Thanks. I've had my Ridgid mini-cutter at the ready. I'll try and find the correct crow-foot. I'm almost positive-sure Edleman is the OEM supplier to the manufactuers. The return line is the biggest pita trying to install. Lucky I haven't put in the coolant or terminated the ECM harness, since I'll have to remove the a.i.r. lines/coolant lines/harnass out of the way to accomplish the replacement.

Couldn't find the correct crowfoot, but was able to borrow one from a neighbor who does some mechanic work on the side. It took a 1/2" breaker-bar to loosen the fitting. Got both new lines installed on the PS pump...no fun with that. That hose replacement being done, now I can pressure-oil the new engine and fire it up!

I have done PS lines on 4.9. And it was very tricky. My advice is that you put immediately back any line you remove just to memorize well the way it is done. If you take a break and then try to install a new line, you will likely forget how it should be done. Again, I am talking from my experience, your engine may be very different.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived