CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Traction Control & Anti-Lock Brake Lights On, Code TC0023

ghopkins

My 96 SLS, with the Traction Control & Anti-Lock Brake lights on, lost 1st gear. At first it was intermittent, but then after a few months the lights stayed on continuously. A mechanic at the local Cadillac garage said the TC0023 code indicated "RF Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault," a $400 repair to have a new wire installed from the right front wheel to the Electronic Brake Control Module. The mechanic also told me it was an old problem in a service tech bulletin, caused by inductance from the ignition coils feeding into the wire harness at the firewall, distrupting the signal from the RF wheel. Rerouting a new wire would cure the problem. Not wishing to spend $400 on a car with 168,000 miles I decided to try shielding the harness. I folded about 10 ft of 12" wide aluminum foil into a 4" x 12" piece and wrapped it around the harness next to the coils. It worked! A $400 repair for 25 cents!! That was 2 weeks ago and it has been running great since then. Who said Cadillacs are expensive to repair?

My 96 SLS, with the Traction Control & Anti-Lock Brake lights on, lost 1st gear. At first it was intermittent, but then after a few months the lights stayed on continuously. A mechanic at the local Cadillac garage said the TC0023 code indicated "RF Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault," a $400 repair to have a new wire installed from the right front wheel to the Electronic Brake Control Module. The mechanic also told me it was an old problem in a service tech bulletin, caused by inductance from the ignition coils feeding into the wire harness at the firewall, distrupting the signal from the RF wheel. Rerouting a new wire would cure the problem. Not wishing to spend $400 on a car with 168,000 miles I decided to try shielding the harness. I folded about 10 ft of 12" wide aluminum foil into a 4" x 12" piece and wrapped it around the harness next to the coils. It worked! A $400 repair for 25 cents!! That was 2 weeks ago and it has been running great since then. Who said Cadillacs are expensive to repair?

Good job and thank you for sharing. I would give that mechanic a six-pack of his favorite beer for giving away information. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Good job and thank you for sharing. I would give that mechanic a six-pack of his favorite beer for giving away information. :)

I may even throw in a dinner! :D

I may even throw in a dinner! :D

Yep, a dinner served on disposable aluminum plates! :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Outback has take-out these days. Get him a steak with a Bloomin' Onion.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived