CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering Rough 1998 sts

Good evening.

When I first start my car in the morning.....the steering works great....

as soon as about 20 min goes by....she gets really stiff unless I am giving it gas...

IE: at idol...its like i do not have power steering at all lol....like I am driving a bus!!

Any reason for this?

Fluid level is fine and clean....

Tx

Nick

Get a 1/2" drive breaker bar and put the drive lug in the square hole in the back side if the tensioner. Use the bar as a lever to move it and be sure it is moving freely. You might even slide the belt off of it and let it extend beyond the belt to be sure it is not rusted in place, thus not providing enough tension on the belt.

• 2 months later...
Good evening.

as soon as about 20 min goes by....she gets really stiff unless I am giving it gas...

IE: at idol...its like i do not have power steering at all lol....like I am driving a bus!!

Any reason for this?

Tx

Nick

Nick, I had the exact same problem crop up this weekend. What did you find to be the cause...belt tension or pump?

Good evening.

Any reason for this?

Tx

Nick

Nick, I had the exact same problem crop up this weekend. What did you find to be the cause...belt tension or pump?

I was told it was the pump... :o(

Good evening.

Any reason for this?

Tx

Nick

OK...how much was the cost of the repair, and did you do it yourself?

• 2 weeks later...
Good evening.

Any reason for this?

Tx

Nick

Hello! Sorry about the delay.....I was told about $1000....Not corrected yet.... :o(

How are you making out?

Nick

OK...how much was the cost of the repair, and did you do it yourself?

Good evening.

Any reason for this?

Tx

Nick

Any squeeling? Have you looked at the serpentine belt for cracks, missing sections?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

These pumps seldom fail.

I also would suspect a slipping serpentine belt and a bad tensioner.

You were told that the pump was bad. How did the mechanic come to that conclusion?

Take a bright light and look at the underside of the belt. If it has a glassy, shiny look, then it has most likely been slipping.

If so, I suggest that you take the car to a trusted shop and have the belt replaced. Have them check the tensioner at the same time. Replace it if there is any question of it's effectiveness. Then drive the car. If the problem is gone, then you have saved yourself several hundred dollars.

If the problem still exists, then you are ahead of the game. Ideally the belt change should be done when the pump was replaced anyway.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Good evening.

Any reason for this?

Tx

Nick

Any squeeling? Have you looked at the serpentine belt for cracks, missing sections?

Yea....There is this noise now when I start my baby up!

These pumps seldom fail.

I also would suspect a slipping serpentine belt and a bad tensioner.

You were told that the pump was bad. How did the mechanic come to that conclusion?

Take a bright light and look at the underside of the belt. If it has a glassy, shiny look, then it has most likely been slipping.

If so, I suggest that you take the car to a trusted shop and have the belt replaced. Have them check the tensioner at the same time. Replace it if there is any question of it's effectiveness. Then drive the car. If the problem is gone, then you have saved yourself several hundred dollars.

If the problem still exists, then you are ahead of the game. Ideally the belt change should be done when the pump was replaced anyway.

Good Luck,

Britt

Thanx for all this.....I will have everything u mentioned looked at.

Nick

Archived