CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PASS KEY- how to turn this crap off

ayejay

Greetings! Have a 90 Eldorado- first year with the PASS key system. In the past week everytime I go to start the car on the first try I get the reading "wrong ignition key inserted....wait 3 minutes" Sometimes it happens an additional time but always on the first. Once or twice I just held the key to the start position and after 10 seconds the car will start. Anyway, this is really getting old and making me late to everything. Not sure why this just started happening....had the car since new and it has never done this before. I would love to just disable this PASS key system but have no idea how. Any input as to the problem or solution is appreciated.

Alan

You can try cleaning your key with alcohol, but most likely the pellet on the key is worn down and you need a new key. There is a way to bypass the pass-key system. I think you put a resistor in somewhere, do a search of the archives, it's been discussed before.

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...p?id=IMPORT-755

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...p?id=IMPORT-729

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...id=IMPORT-15816

Greetings!  Have a 90 Eldorado- first year with the PASS key system.  In the past week everytime I go to start the car on the first try I get the reading "wrong ignition key inserted....wait 3 minutes"  Sometimes it happens an additional time but always on the first.  Once or twice I just held the key to the start position and after 10 seconds the car will start.  Anyway, this is really getting old and making me late to everything.  Not sure why this just started happening....had the car since new and it has never done this before.  I would love to just disable this PASS key system but have no idea how.  Any input as to the problem or solution is appreciated.

Alan

Do you have this problem will all the ignition keys or just the one you use all the time on the car?

Sounds like the key or the ignition might need replacing. The keys are bit expensive, the local dealer says it's about $200 for the key and you have to bring all sorts of ID with you to prove you are the owner of the vehicle.

Personally, I would not disable anything on the car, it's there for a reason. I would just fix it the right way and be done with it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I had a locksmith make a new PASS key for my Eldo. I think it cost about $45.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

had the same problem in my 91 seville. ended up being the ignition switch (steering coumn) was bad. the BAD news is that it ended up having to be changed again within a year.

Being that the car is 14 yrs old I would bet the contacts in the resistor pellet are worn down. I recently had the "wait 3 min" warning. It has worked fine since but I know it's only a matter of time so I wanted another key to keep in the car "just in case. I mic'd the contacts on my resistor and compared the reading to my spare key. My every day key was worn down .015. Dealers wanted $30-$35 for a new vats key. Local Ace hardware stoe wanted $20. I got one at the link below for $5 (aftermarket) or $7 (GM) plus shipping and had it cut at the hardware store for $1. Before ordering measure the resistense with a DVM (digital volt meter) or take the key to the dealer or a hardware store that sells vats keys and they can measure it for you. You will need this reading because there are 15 different resister pellets.

http://stores.ebay.com/MARCS-LOCK-AND-KEY_...displayZ2QQtZkm

Archived