CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Foglight Replacement? Tell me its not this difficult!!

SPreston2001

Hi guys awhile back I purchased some silverstars for my STS and I installed the headlights when I first got them but never got around to installing the foglights. Well today I went out to the garage in attempt to change them and ran into a brick wall. I realized that changing these foglights wasnt going to be as simple as reaching my hand underneath the bumper and changing out the bulbs because this stupid splash gaurd is preventing me from accessing the lamps. I hoping I dont have to remove this plastic splash gaurd on the underside of the bumper just to change some simple foglights. Some body please tell me there is a easier way to change these foglamps. The silverstar headlights have a brighter white light and the fogs still have the standard yellowish bulbs and I would like them to match. Thanks

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

You have choices.

Remove the splash guard from the bottom to get to the sockets. If you go this way, consider cutting a hole in the splash guard that would allow access to the fog lamp sockets for the next time.

Or you could remove the headlamp assemblies (again) which allows you to reach the fog lamp sockets from above.

Choices are good, right?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

You have choices.

Remove the splash guard from the bottom to get to the sockets. If you go this way, consider cutting a hole in the splash guard that would allow access to the fog lamp sockets for the next time.

Or you could remove the headlamp assemblies (again) which allows you to reach the fog lamp sockets from above.

Choices are good, right?

That sucks because mine just burned out and it's only 10 degrees out here. Now I wish I had a garage.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Thanks JimD, I actually took your advice and cut a hole in the splash guard because I couldnt get my hands down far enough to access the bulb when I removed the headlight assembly. On my 2000 theres alot of metal brackets that prevent you from accessing the bulb from up top so I just jacked her up, used a razor to outline my cut lines and used a low wattage heat blade to cut through the guard. I dont why GM would make changing a pair of simple foglights this complicated. Theres no reason why someone should have to remove the lower splash guard (which is a real PITA to remove) just to do routine maintnance.

P.S Its only 10 degrees in ND?!! Wow thats cold!! Guess I cant complain about the low 40's!!!

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

Be sure that the access hole that you cut is well-sealed against road crud.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I tapped the fastener holes for the top and bottom panels and use 1/2" long bolts with large washers. Panel R&R is a walk in the park.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived