CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

theft deterrent issue

Hi folks,

I have a '98 Concours. I had a battery replaced and it went down hill from there. After replacing the battery, I started getting all of this crazy noise through the speakers and lights flashing on the dash. Also, the radio went dead. Lately, compounding this is whenever I start the engine the alarm system goes off for 21 cycles. Not to go crazy while trouble shooting, I removed the horn rely. Anyway, I have cleaned as many grounds and major terminal connections I could find. I pulled every fuse and rely and cleaned the pins and sprayed the blocks with electronic cleaner to aid in removing corrosion. I do have numerous DTC codes, but, none seem specfic to these two issues: dead radio suddenly and alarm sounding. I think many of these issues, can be related to the BCM having issues.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Probably a stupid question... but have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes and then reconnecting it?

That MAY reset everything.

Maybe when they installed the new battery, there was a spark and it now has everything confused.

Posted Image

Probably a stupid question... but have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes and then reconnecting it?

That MAY reset everything.

Maybe when they installed the new battery, there was a spark and it now has everything confused.

Hey TexasJim,

Thanks for the reply. There were sparks when the ground was re-connected. This was thought something was still drawing power. I will take your advice and disconnect the ground for awhile. Any thoughts on why the radio panel went dead. All of this crap started when the battery was replaced.

Thanks!

Make sure the radio is off when you disconnect the battery, do as Jim has recommended it may just solve all of your problems. There is a statement in the manual someplace to make sure the radio is off when you mess with the battery. Think of it in terms of restarting the network in your house, you restart the modem, then router then computer, if you do it out of order, the IP addresses are not distributed.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hey TexasJim,

Thanks for the reply. There were sparks when the ground was re-connected. This was thought something was still drawing power. I will take your advice and disconnect the ground for awhile. Any thoughts on why the radio panel went dead. All of this crap started when the battery was replaced.

Thanks!

kenash,

Some of the Cadillacs are pretty finicky about the power.

The radio probably got a little power spike when the battery cable SPARKED. It shut itself down to prevent damage. When you reconnect the battery and THEN turn on the radio... there is a good chance it will work again.

Before disconnecting the battery, turn OFF EVERYTHING that CAN be turned off. :D

When you go to reconnect it...

Make sure the doors and the trunk are closed to prevent all the inside lights from coming on and causing current draw and maybe more sparks.

Hope this helps with your problem.

Like BBF said, reconnecting the battery is kinda like restarting a network.

Posted Image

Archived