CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oprah discovers Kindle

InformationWeek

Popular talk-show host Oprah Winfrey on Friday endorsed Amazon.com's Kindle, a blessing that will likely give the e-book reader a big boost against its major rival the Sony Reader.

In a posting on her Web site, Winfrey revealed that she had proclaimed the Kindle her "favorite new gadget" on her afternoon TV talk show. Earlier speculation that the celebrity would give the nod to the device was sparked by a 24-second video ad on the Amazon home page. The ad said Winfrey would discuss on her show a gadget that was "life-changing for me" and "the wave of the future." The ad ran directly above a promotion for the Kindle.

The interesting thing about the Kindle is that it has a separate, independent link to download daily newspapers and books.

Product Overview

* Revolutionary electronic-paper display provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper.

* Simple to use: no computer, no cables, no syncing.

* Wireless connectivity enables you to shop the Kindle Store directly from your Kindle—whether you’re in the back of a taxi, at the airport, or in bed.

* Buy a book and it is auto-delivered wirelessly in less than one minute.

* More than 190,000 books available, including more than 109 of 112 current New York Times® Best Sellers.

* New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.

* Free book samples. Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy.

* Top U.S. newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post; top magazines including TIME, Atlantic Monthly, and Forbes—all auto-delivered wirelessly.

* Top international newspapers from France, Germany, and Ireland; Le Monde, Frankfurter Allgemeine, and The Irish Times—all auto-delivered wirelessly.

* More than 900 top blogs from the worlds of business, technology, sports, entertainment, and politics, including BoingBoing, Slashdot, TechCrunch, ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Onion, Michelle Malkin, and The Huffington Post—all updated wirelessly throughout the day.

* Lighter and thinner than a typical paperback; weighs only 10.3 ounces.

* Holds over 200 titles.

* Long battery life. Leave wireless on and recharge approximately every other day. Turn wireless off and read for a week or more before recharging. Fully recharges in 2 hours.

* Unlike WiFi, Kindle utilizes the same high-speed data network (EVDO) as advanced cell phones—so you never have to locate a hotspot.

* No monthly wireless bills, service plans, or commitments—we take care of the wireless delivery so you can simply click, buy, and read.

* Includes free wireless access to the planet's most exhaustive and up-to-date encyclopedia—Wikipedia.org.

* Email your Word documents and pictures (.JPG, .GIF, .BMP, .PNG) to Kindle for easy on-the-go viewing.

* Included in the box: Kindle wireless reader, Book cover, Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 1 month later...

I actually have the Sony 505 reader. I like it better than the Kindle because it handles multiple formats plus there's lot of good software out there for converting files so they can be read on the Sony as well as downloading newspapers from around the world for FREE. While the Sony doesn't have Whispernet, I personally don't have a problem with connecting my Sony to my computer and just downloading books into the reader "the old fashioned way". Currently, Sony has over 77,000 books in their bookstore and they're adding more every day. On top of this, there are LOADS of bookstores on the Internet that sell Ebooks in just about any format that the Sony reader can handle. The Reader also handles PDF. Additionally, the Kindle feels like cheap plastic whereas the Sony is a well made solid piece of metal but doesn't weight much more than the Kindle.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

• 2 weeks later...

I could do without further "Oprah Discoveries." The "woo-woo" silliness she professes ("The Secret" etc.) along with the discredited list of authors she supports leaves me numb.

Montel Willliams (and Larry King) regularly bring us the "woo" of Sylvia Browne. Adults should be ashamed; children should be wary.

Yeah, Kindle is good, in a way, but I prefer bound paper; preferably bound in leather.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

For those of us who love E-books, here's a wonderful forum for Mobile Readers.

http://www.mobileread.com/

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived