CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 Eldo Glovebox

Ion

It's stuck shut. Inserting the key and turning the mechanism has absolutely no affect. The lever just lifts up all the way to the top of it's range without unlocking. Any suggestions before I run out of gas (gas lid button is in there!!!)

My '94 SLS had a pull cable located in the trunk near the left wheel well. Your Eldo should have a similar way to open the gas filler door if the electric actuator won't work. (Or can't be reached.)

If you don't see the cable, look behind the trim panel to see if it is there. My 2003 SLS had it hidden behind the trim panel. Check your owner's manual.

As far as the glove box. I can't help you there. Posssibly someone else will chime in on that issue.

In the meantime, if you find the manual fuel door release, you will be able to keep driving the car.

Good Luck,

Britt

My '94 SLS had a pull cable located in the trunk near the left wheel well. Your Eldo should have a similar way to open the gas filler door if the electric actuator won't work. (Or can't be reached.)

If you don't see the cable, look behind the trim panel to see if it is there. My 2003 SLS had it hidden behind the trim panel. Check your owner's manual.

As far as the glove box. I can't help you there. Posssibly someone else will chime in on that issue.

In the meantime, if you find the manual fuel door release, you will be able to keep driving the car.

Good Luck,

It sure did...thanks!

Any good body or detailing shop should be able to tell you how to get the latch to open. It sounds like the mechanism has worn or bent so that it doesn't quite unlatch, or possibly something in the lock mechanism disengaged. Either way you may have to dismantle part of the dashboard to get at the lock without damaging anything.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hi:

I had the same thing happen on 2 of my caddy's...If I remember correctly, if you lift up the latch and look under it you should be able to get a small screwdriver in there and open it up. Then you can replace the latch mechanism, because more than likely the catch, which is plastic broke. then you have to change over your lock tumblers into the new one. A tedious job but it can be done with GREAT patience!.

Good Luck

Scott

Archived