CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2003 STS engine in a 2002 STS ??

Benny

Hi,

A guy in Cadillac Club Sweden has bought a 2002 STS with a crashed engine (caused by a broken oil pump), VIN 1G6KY54972U252298. He is planning to put in a used engine from a 2003 STS (VIN 1G6KY54923U200949) and is wondering if those engines are interchangeable? All info is appreciated.

I'm the moderator of the sub forum Cadillac Club Sweden and the topic above has also been put in on that forum.

Thanks /Bengt B)

Bengt Olsson

Cadillac Club Sweden

99 STS Vogue Gold Edition

Corsa cat-back w gold tips

After considering this for several hours, I can think of no powertrain changes between these two years.

It should be a plug and play operation.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thank you very much for your good advice. It makes sence and feels good. I'll advice the guy to keep the old PCM when he makes the exchange.

Thanks /Bengt :D

Bengt Olsson

Cadillac Club Sweden

99 STS Vogue Gold Edition

Corsa cat-back w gold tips

The 2003 STS does not have brake wear sensors and the 2002 STS does. The brake wear sensor wiring is part of the engine harness for the drivers side wheel. I think it is part of the body harness on the passenger side. Once the engines are out of their respective cars check it out and if so install the engine harness from the 2002 onto the 2003. Also, the 2003 has the magnetic shock system where as the 2002 does not unless it was a late model. I can't remember for sure but I think the wiring harness for the magnetic shocks is also part of the engine harness but you'll need to check that out also. Mechanically the two engines and transmissions are interchangeable. Easier to remove and install the engine, transmission and front suspension and cradle as one unit then to separate the engine and remove it alone and no lose of tranny fluid if you don't have to pop off the drive shafts. Don't forget to disconnect the intermediate steering shaft before lowering the engineIf you change the PCM it will need to be programmed to the 2002 VIN. Not worth the expense. Just use the 2002 PCM

Archived