CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 STS Wheel Bearnings

sam31

My wife has a 95 STS with 130k miles. She wants a bug for retirment so we took it to the VW dealer who said the wheel bearing are going out and it would cost $2000 to fix. I had put new tires on it the last 60 days and it also passed Texas state inspection. I have heard the humm but assumed it was the tires. Is the dealer strocking me? Ant input would be great. Thanks

Yes, you might have a bad wheel bearing, but no it should not cost $2k to fix. The wheel bearing can be had for less than $150, and it dosen't cost $1850 to install. At MOST you are looking at a $500 job including dealer labor and OEM parts.

My wife has a 95 STS with 130k miles. She wants a bug for retirment so we took it to the VW dealer who said the wheel bearing are going out and it would cost $2000 to fix. I had put new tires on it the last 60 days and it also passed Texas state inspection. I have heard the humm but assumed it was the tires. Is the dealer strocking me? Ant input would be great. Thanks

Why are you taking the vehicle to a "VW" dealership?

Ian

Why does you wife want to go from a Cadillac to a VW bug??? :blink:

I would take the car to a GM dealership to have the work done. I don't think you're getting a fair estimate from the VW dealer.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I changed one on a '92 Deville for $210 (Napa) and :45 min labor (mine).

I'm with KHE, Cadillac to a VW? Boy is she in for a rude awakening!

Well I replaced the wheel bearings.....that was not it. seems that the trans is going out $3800.00 to replace.I dont want to put that in the car or sell it to someone without telling them about it, and ofcourse they wont buy it. Is parting it out a good idea? Its really in good shape other than the trans.

Thanks

Well I replaced the wheel bearings.....that was not it. seems that the trans is going out $3800.00 to replace.I dont want to put that in the car or sell it to someone without telling them about it, and ofcourse they wont buy it. Is parting it out a good idea? Its really in good shape other than the trans.

Thanks

I cannot understand why people just replace stuff on someone else's recommendation. Especially the recommendation of a dealership that

has no knowledge of said vehicle. The worst part is, if you do the

work yourself based on what some mechanic said, you are "screwed"

if it doesn't fix it. At our dealership, if we said it was wheel bearings,

and we replaced them for you, and that was not the problem....we

would be either fixing the real problem for free, or refunding your

money. But if you put the wheel bearings in and that was wasn't the

problem, too bad! It is a foolish move to take your vehicle in to

some shop, get a diagnosis out of them, and then start replacing

parts yourself. You will get burned more often then not.

Ian

I did not do the work myself, the mechanics did it. I wines...hummms..at almost all speeds. But I have noticed that when in a slow turn to the right it goes away and comes back when straighting up. However when turning left the humm is still there (not any louder). Yall think it is the trans. I really need the help!

Thanks

It does not sound like the transaxle to me. It could be a CV joint or some other suspension component.

Unless you can diagnose the problem yourself, I would suggest taking the car to a Cadillac dealer and have the problem fixed rather than throw parts at the problem. You will be cheaper off on the long run.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It wines...hummms..at almost all speeds. But I have noticed that when in a slow turn to the right it goes away and comes back when straighting up. However when turning left the humm is still there (not any louder).

That very well may be a CV (constant velocity) joint as Kevin suggested. The described symptoms sound very familair. I had one changed on my '93 STS not too long ago for <300 dollars.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

What about the power steering pump? I am almost certain mine is starting to whine. I too have a 95 STS w/133k on the clock. I dont get to drive it much since the wife is in school and is loading the miles on it instead of the new Tahoe. I drove it the other day and said, "self, that sounds like a powersteering pump" Reminds me of my old mustang 5.0!! Dont know if any of you have ever had one, but you can not miss the whine of a power steering pump on a FORD product!

Archived