CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Weird acting "avg. MPG" and "used fuel" conters.

Jan Olsson

I have noticed sometimes that the avg. MPG dropped from time to time but I've always thought that I must have been hard on the throttle or something but yesterday I had proof that something fishy is going on..

Yesterday I started the car..I did a reset on the trip meter, did also reset the "fuel used" meter. After about 15 kilometers I did a fuel stop and observed the "fuel used" counter to read 1.75 liters. The "avg. MPG" showed 13,5 l/100 km (17.4 MPG). After the fill up I started the car and instantly checked the "avg. MPG" and the fuel used counters...

The avg. MPG showed 13,8 l/100 km ( 17.0 MPG) and the fuel used showed 3,5 liters or something like that. So where did the missing 1.75 liters go? (0.46 gallons)

The engine was still hot, max 5 minutes stop..53 F outside..

I have noticed this phenomenom from time to time but has not been able to duplicate it and only at this temperature (about 50-60F)

The fuel used counter should only accumulate the injector pulses right? Is my PCM going south?

Noticed it again today...weird.

This road force imbalance is killing me. Nearest Hunter is almost 200 miles away...

It makes it hard to say if the engine is running alright under load or not.

I can live with the vibrations under 50F and over 57F. The tires then feels adequate..Temperature has been 55F for ages now... :(

Can't have winter soon enough, then I'll ask them to bring home 3 sets of winter tires and have them properly road force balanced.

Statistics like big numbers. Yes, it sounds a little bit weired, but I would collect data based on higher mileage.

You're right about that. But this is just an example. I've noticed the same thing with only 1/4 tank of gas too. MPG drops several points and fuel used adds up with a couple of liters.

And the really strange thing is that I observed it last autumn, but not since then...until now. Really strange...

Neither my 1988 Eldo nor the 1993 STS I had did that..

I'll ask this question different then..Does anyone have information on how the "fuel used" meter and the "avg. mpg" meter gatheres information?

In my thinking the "fuel used" counter only adds up injector puls width over time at a supposed fuel pressure and the PCM does the adding. not much to go wrong there except from the PCM right?

I wouldn't mind if it always showed the same value after restarting the enginge..I feel a bit frustrated when suddenly a couple of liters is missing.

Never notice it when running, always notice it after turning engine off and starting it again..Never notice it more than perhaps every 10th start. Instant economy counter seems to work alright.

Correct, the PCM simply counts injector pulses to come up with fuel used. It then does the simple math to come up with AVG MPG.

Hmm. I better check the connections for the PCM.

Could it be that the PCM compares the "fuel used" and finds out that it doesn't match the fuel tank reading and compensates for that..I.e. I use fuel for 1/4 tank of gas, the fuel used shows perhaps that I've used 1/5 of gas. Next time when I turn the engine off it adjusts itself to the true values..

Could this indicate a faulty fuel pressure regulator?

Could it be that the PCM compares the "fuel used" and finds out that it doesn't match the fuel tank reading and compensates for that..I.e. I use fuel for 1/4 tank of gas, the fuel used shows perhaps that I've used 1/5 of gas. Next time when I turn the engine off it adjusts itself to the true values..

Could this indicate a faulty fuel pressure regulator?

I do not believe so.

Archived