CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anybody knows ?

Howyadoin,

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think the question has been answered anyway...

Are the FE1 and FE3 struts interchangeable? Will the FE3 struts bolt into an SLS and perform as they would in an STS, or will the BCM make them perform like FE1 struts?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks...

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

• 2 years later...

I'm looking to go the other way due to the cost of the FE3 struts. I was wondering if the fe1 struts from a 1997 SLS will work in a 1997 STS?

Where can i buy elbow grease? I don't want to use any of mine!

The FE1 is a soft ride strut I am not sure if it is electronic, it might be passive, if it is passive, unless you can find a way to override the suspension message because you dont have the electronic struts in, you will get a Service Suspension Message...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

In 1997, all the dampers are active.

It's an interesting question Mark brought up -- if you installed STS dampers on an SLS (or the other way around), how would the computer react? I don't know if anyone has tried this before.

mudweiser, there should not be a huge difference in price between dampers for a 1997 SLS vs. dampers for a 1997 STS. Both use electronic struts and shocks. The only difference really is the valving. Conventionally, I would say that your ride would be "worse" with the SLS struts. Your STS has stiffer springs and the softer valved SLS struts may not be able to control them as well...and your ride may be bouncy. But Mark's question is a good one...how would the computer react to the wrong strut application, even though it may be an electronic strut?

Can you post a link to where you are looking that shows a big price difference between the FE1 and FE3 struts/shocks? I'm interested to see that.

Thanks.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

In 1997, all the dampers are active.

It's an interesting question Mark brought up -- if you installed STS dampers on an SLS (or the other way around), how would the computer react? I don't know if anyone has tried this before.

mudweiser, there should not be a huge difference in price between dampers for a 1997 SLS vs. dampers for a 1997 STS. Both use electronic struts and shocks. The only difference really is the valving. Conventionally, I would say that your ride would be "worse" with the SLS struts. Your STS has stiffer springs and the softer valved SLS struts may not be able to control them as well...and your ride may be bouncy. But Mark's question is a good one...how would the computer react to the wrong strut application, even though it may be an electronic strut?

Can you post a link to where you are looking that shows a big price difference between the FE1 and FE3 struts/shocks? I'm interested to see that.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. We are going to hold out for the STS struts........just wanted to know the differences.

Where can i buy elbow grease? I don't want to use any of mine!

I'm looking to go the other way due to the cost of the FE3 struts. I was wondering if the fe1 struts from a 1997 SLS will work in a 1997 STS?

First a disclaimer; I am not a professional parts person.

The Mitchell parts catalog online at gmpartsdirect.com does not differentiate between STS and SLS; the listings are for Seville. BUT, the Mitchell catalog is not an official GM document.

There are two different part number ride control modules listed; one for FE1 suspension and another for FE3 suspension. There must be some significant internal difference.

And of course there are seperate part numbers for the FE1 and FE3 struts. The FE1 (soft ride) struts are more expensive than the FE3 pieces. Go figure.

There should be no mechanical (the bolt holes would be the same) reason why you could not install either strut in either car. Other than the fact that the ride and suspension response would be messed up. Not to mention possible DTCs because the ride control OBD would be confused if the strut and the module are not compatable.

Edit: I failed to mention the lookups I did were for a 1997 Seville.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived