CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'95 STS trunk won't shut

Stelcom66

Our '95 STS trunk won't completely shut. I believe it's because the auto pull down system isn't working. If we have no luck replacing or fixing that I wonder if there's a way to set the pull down system in the down position? The fuse looks good. It needs to go down about another inch and a half or so.

Yes, the pulldown uses a screw type mechanism. So once you take it apart you can manually adjust the pulldown to permanently be in the 'closed' position until you get a new motor. You may find that simply taking apart and cleaning everything and putting it back together fixes the problem as well.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Check the switch. If that's OK take the motor apart and check the brushes. I had to replace a set on my '92. Note the position of the screw when you take it apart for reassembly. It will save time removing and adjusting it later.

Thanks - I'll take it apart to at least get it in the down position. I was suspecting the switch as well. Looks quite simple, 3 leads. I assume +, - and a lead to the motor. The switch just connects + to the motor, unless it's using the chassis as -.

I took apart the motor and was able to manually adjust the latch so now the trunk shuts all the way. There is power on the leads, but the switch didn't make a closure where I expected it to. I found out the latch shouldn't go all the way down, if it does the

trunk won't shut at all. I used the worm gear of the motor to manually adjust the latch. We can live without the power assist.

Thanks for the help. Case closed.

Most likely your switch needs replacing. They're fairly inexpensive and can be had at places such as Napa. Remove the 2 retaining screws and unhook the wire harness clip and install new one. The first time my trunk got stuck like yours it turned out that the post of the pull down hook was sticking. A liberal dose of WD-40 cured it. The second time it turned out to be the switch. I understand that the motor, itself, should run "forever" and the usual culprit is the switch.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I took apart the motor and was able to manually adjust the latch so now the trunk shuts all the way. There is power on the leads, but the switch didn't make a closure where I expected it to. I found out the latch shouldn't go all the way down, if it does the

trunk won't shut at all. I used the worm gear of the motor to manually adjust the latch. We can live without the power assist.

Thanks for the help. Case closed.

yay, nicely done then.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived