CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CV boot

Excuse my lack of knowledge, could someone explain to me what exactly the CV boot purpose is? as you can see in the picture below when i had my trans replaced my CV boot was done incorrectly, and is the procedure for fixing my problem complicated, and how much? i ask because i have to file my court date this Friday and my lawyer told me to get all the information on problems that were caused by the mechanic that replaced the trans. thank guys!!! <_<

S4024312.jpg

S4024313.jpg

S4024314.jpg

In short, a CV boot keeps the grease in and dirt out of the CV joint.

CV stands for constant velocity.

A CV joint is similar in function to a "U" joint, but it's designed so that the shaft doesn't accelerate and decelerate with each rotation like a standard "U" joint does. As a result, a CV joint gives less vibration and a smoother operation.

The loss of the CV boot will cause rapid failure of the CV joint.

Worse case (if you could ignore the growling and vibration) would be for the joint to fail completely and cause a wreck. (If it locked up the affected wheel.) Not likely, but possible.

I would suggest that you go to your nearest Cadillac dealer and have them give you a written estimate. That way, you would have a document that would be acceptable to the court.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

In short, a CV boot keeps the grease in and dirt out of the CV joint.

CV stands for constant velocity.

A CV joint is similar in function to a "U" joint, but it's designed so that the shaft doesn't accelerate and decelerate with each rotation like a standard "U" joint does. As a result, a CV joint gives less vibration and a smoother operation.

The loss of the CV boot will cause rapid failure of the CV joint.

Worse case (if you could ignore the growling and vibration) would be for the joint to fail completely and cause a wreck. (If it locked up the affected wheel.) Not likely, but possible.

I would suggest that you go to your nearest Cadillac dealer and have them give you a written estimate. That way, you would have a document that would be acceptable to the court.

Good Luck,

Britt

thanks ... i have a document saying that it is not put on correctly but they left out the estimate. so i will have to call them to get an estimate and have them fax it

Who is the transmission shop...

Who:

Installed wrong transmission...

Lost lower panel with chunk of air pump..

Screwed up a CV joint..

So we can stay away from them .

Who is the transmission shop...

Who:

Installed wrong transmission...

Lost lower panel with chunk of air pump..

Screwed up a CV joint..

So we can stay away from them .

LOL "Steve's auto repair" used to be named "Enamuel's auto repair" 61st and vine st. philadelphia pa 19151

Archived