CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

fixed A/C.

joeb

been a busy few weeks. i replaced my radiator 2 weeks ago. than i put a new a/c condenser in my kids grand prix. today i put in a used compressor in the caddy. i ran the vacuum pump for about 1/2 hr and its holding vacuum. i will check it tomorrow and get some 134a and see if it works. i was going to get a new aftermarket comp but i found a real cheap used one. maybe you get what you pay for. i bet the labor to do all 3 jobs would have ran $2k. i did it all for $320 in parts.

let me change the header to "fixing a/c". vac'd system. put in 1/2 can of 134a. started car, no comp engage. stopped car, disconneted battery for several mins. started car. comp cycled 3-4 times and turned off. dash says low a/c. redo the battery trick and as soon as i start the car it says a/c low, comp off. how can i get the comp to cycle? if disconnecting the battery does start allow it to start, than what?

Your A/C message on the DIC is triggered by a trouble code which is also disabling the compressor clutch circuit.

Scroll down to "DTC Codes" on this page http://www.caddyinfo.com/howto.html and you should find instructions on how to display and clear codes on your year/model. Clearing the code(s) will also enable the clutch circuit (at least until the fault is detected again).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

With ignition "ON" and engine not running, clear the PCM codes in the D.I.C.

Hook up the refrigerant source (don't forget to purge the line!) and start the engine. The compressor will run and draw the gas in. If the compressor stops before a full charge is ingested, repeat.

The PCM will, by default, shut the compressor "OFF" if low refrigerant is detected (making charging impossible).

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: JimD types faster than me.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

ok, i added 24oz of 134a and i am getting 50 deg vent temps. the system should have 32 oz so i will get some more tomorrow.

Don't forget that you lose about 1/2 to 1 oz. of refrigerant when you change the cans out - so you will need to add an extra 1.5 to 3 ozs of refrigerant to get the system "Full". That's why I like to use the 30 pound cylinders.

I recently replaced the compressor shaft seal on my '93 Fleetwood Brougham - an R-12 system. I have 39 degree vent temps with the climate control set to auto 60....

The biggest failures in the Northstar Cadillac compressor (HD6) up to January, 2001 are the case seal o-rings. About an hour of work once the compressor is off the car and they can be fully repaired.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

unbolting the 3 case bolts is fairly easy. its the rear L-bracket bolt that is hard. i took off one of the oil cooler lines from the block and i could reach it from the front. the hard plumbed cooler line is right in the way. than pull out the compressor slightly and take out the manifold block bolt from the rear.

Archived