CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering "Clunk"

When in park, or when I have my foot on the brake, turning the steering wheel left or right, nearly "stop to stop" produces a "clunk" that I can feel in the brake pedal and steering wheel. I've read reviews on the 2008 Impala and several owners have reported this steering wheel clunk as well. All the reviewers have indicated they took the cars back to the dealerships. One reviewer claimed his dealership refused to fix the problem.

My car has 3,560 miles on it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

When in park, or when I have my foot on the brake, turning the steering wheel left or right, nearly "stop to stop" produces a "clunk" that I can feel in the brake pedal and steering wheel. I've read reviews on the 2008 Impala and several owners have reported this steering wheel clunk as well. All the reviewers have indicated they took the cars back to the dealerships. One reviewer claimed his dealership refused to fix the problem.

with that low of miles , i would consider going to the original dealer and asking them, what was up with that ...

and ask, for a written explanation, if they do nothing to fix it ... if one dealer does nothing to solve

it, go to several others and keep all the records and you may end up with a brand new better one, as one of the guys did recently here and you can pick the color ...

and remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the documentation, will help in the future,

if, it turns out to be a problem and if it keeps happening over a short period of time,

and they don't fix it, then you may have a real case for the lemon laws ...

just a thought ...

Lane

with that low of miles , i would consider going to the original dealer and asking them, what was up with that ...

and ask, for a written explanation, if they do nothing to fix it ... if one dealer does nothing to solve

it, go to several others and keep all the records and you may end up with a brand new better one, as one of the guys did recently here and you can pick the color ...

and remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the documentation, will help in the future,

if, it turns out to be a problem and if it keeps happening over a short period of time,

and they don't fix it, then you may have a real case for the lemon laws ...

just a thought ...

Lane

I've been reading posts at an Impala owners site on yahoo and it seems to be a common problem that goes back to 2000. They either regrease some type of bearings in the steering column or they replace the column.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

You are talking about the intermediate steering shaft that has had a problem from before 2000 my 2002 monte carlo had it.. Your symptom does not sound like the same problem.. the intermediate steering shaft makes noise over bumps..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You are talking about the intermediate steering shaft that has had a problem from 2000 my 2002 monte carlo had it.. Your symptom does not sound like the same problem.. the intermediate steering shaft makes noise over bumps..

I listened more carefully with the windows rolled down and it sounds like a metallic "clack". It only does it when the car is not in motion. Doing full tight turns does not seem to cause it, only when the car is not moving. It's OK, that's why cars come with warranties.

You are talking about the intermediate steering shaft that has had a problem from 2000 my 2002 monte carlo had it.. Your symptom does not sound like the same problem.. the intermediate steering shaft makes noise over bumps..

I listened more carefully with the windows rolled down and it sounds like a metallic "clack". It only does it when the car is not in motion. Doing full tight turns does not seem to cause it, only when the car is not moving. It's OK, that's why cars come with warranties.

The intermediate shaft made noise while the car was in motion

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived