CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

For an old ford..?

once my 89 5.0L vrown vix warms up, at idle, the oil preseure is very low, causing the light to flicker, it currently runs 10w-40 what oil should i switch to to help with the decreased oil pressure? a lighter oil? thanks the car has 409k on it! :) (original engine)

Thanks (know its not related to Caddy, but I have two of them too!)

Alex

once my 89 5.0L vrown vix warms up, at idle, the oil preseure is very low, causing the light to flicker, it currently runs 10w-40 what oil should i switch to to help with the decreased oil pressure? a lighter oil? thanks the car has 409k on it! :) (original engine)

Thanks (know its not related to Caddy, but I have two of them too!)

Alex

Dont' bother switching oils, install a new oil pump.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

A heavier oil may help the oil pressure such as a straight 30.

Check this post and note the response to me from Bbobynski. I am note sure if his response is Northstar specific or would pertain to any I/C engine.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...hl=oil+pressure

It sounds like your clearances have just gotten loose (in the bearings) and the thing just doesn't hold much pressure anymore. Or, it could be as simple as needing a new oil pressure switch, especially if it's the original switch. Go to your Ford dealership and order you up a switch (I wouldn't use a generic brand). Or optionally, install an oil pressure gauge, to see if you REALLY have low pressure. You could have a shop or dealership easily check the oil pressure for you.

Otherwise, if you wanted to change oils, I'd think you'd have to move up to a 20W-50 to get more pressure. The 10W-40 you're running already is at 40 weight when warm. I don't think switching to a straight 30 weight will help, since that's actually thinner than the 10W-40 when hot. The only oil I know of that's thicker when warm is 20W-50.

Still, I'd check the switch and/or install a gauge first -- to verify that there actually is a problem.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have a question, do you have good oil pressure when you let it sit then start reguardless if it is hot or cold then after driving it a short time it looses pressure.

My neighbor fought this with 3 oil pumps in his dodge, finally I told hem to get a new engine. The problem ended up to be sludge build up was so bad that once the oil was pumped into the valve train the oil was restricted from flowing back into the oil pan all he had to do was remove the manifold scrape out the sludge and all would of been fine.

I do not know how it got that clogged but it is a true story.

Julio

I have a question, do you have good oil pressure when you let it sit then start reguardless if it is hot or cold then after driving it a short time it looses pressure.

My neighbor fought this with 3 oil pumps in his dodge, finally I told hem to get a new engine. The problem ended up to be sludge build up was so bad that once the oil was pumped into the valve train the oil was restricted from flowing back into the oil pan all he had to do was remove the manifold scrape out the sludge and all would of been fine.

I do not know how it got that clogged but it is a true story.

Julio

On my old '65 Rambler Ambassador, which was 8 cylinders, it was common for the rear oil drain holes in the engine to develop sludge. I was because the engine was installed at a slant. Had to clean them out every so often. The sign was intermittant blue smoke coming from the exhaust because the oil would build up, overflow and enter the combustion chamber and burn. But it wasn't consistent, only when the oil level rose high enough to overflow. Pain in the neck. :angry:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived