CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange leak in trunk. 01 STS...

The floor of my trunk gets wet around the spare tire.

Smells moldy too, almost like overnight rain.

When I cleaned her the first time I noticed the smell and water, cleaned and vacuumed, but now it's back.

The water seems to be coming from either underneath the car or underneath the rear wheel housing.

The top portion of the trunk is completely dry.

Anybody know what this could be?

335a099287.jpg

The STS is a bit infamous for leaks of this sort.

Water pools in the trunk in the case of a trunk lid gasket failure.

In the case of a rear windshield gasket failure, water is more likely (though not always) to be found under the rear seat before it finds its way to the trunk. Sometimes the rear carpets are dampened.

Are conditions dry under your rear seat? Rear carpets wet?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Ok let's take bets. I say it's one or both of the rear drain tubes for the sunroof. Only a few choices left really. Either the trunk lid seal, inboard tail light assembly, rear window seal, fuel fill tube assembly, or family member with a warped sense of humor.

The trunk lid seal or gasket isn't an option for leak on my 94 STS. The metal seam or ridge that the gasket sleeves over is raised all the way around the trunk opening. So even if the gasket failed or had a bad tear rain water would still be diverted away. However, if one were driving in the rain then I could see how water could get forced over the ridge. I would think a smart design like this would carry over to later models of the STS. Someone correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Ok let's take bets. I say it's one or both of the rear drain tubes for the sunroof. I would think a smart design like this would carry over to later models of the STS. Someone correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

OKAY, your assumption is incorrect!

Babydon hasn't mentioned he has a sunroof!

Maybe a truth will yet become us?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Ok let's take bets. I say it's one or both of the rear drain tubes for the sunroof. I would think a smart design like this would carry over to later models of the STS. Someone correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

OKAY, your assumption is incorrect!

Babydon hasn't mentioned whether or not he has a sunroof!

Maybe a truth will yet become us?

Regards,

Warren

Hahaaa, I was wondering if you were going to catch that. I figured I was going out on a limb with the possibility of no sunroof. Ya caught me Warren. But I'm sticking to the sunroof until Babydon torpedoes my assumption ship. Someone throw me a life jacket just in case.

And by the way, while we're on the subject of assuming, how do you know Babydon is a He? ;)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Ya caught me Warren. But I'm sticking to the sunroof until Babydon torpedoes my assumption ship. Someone throw me a life jacket just in case.

I got a lead life-jacket around here somewhere . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

And by the way, while we're on the subject of assuming, how do you know Babydon is a He? ;)

Obviously posted after my reply, but I am NOT politically correct. Be a Chairman, a Chairperson, a Chairwoman, or a ChairAnyone . . . .

That said, it wasn't necessary to publicly impugn an individual's sexuality.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Obviously posted after my reply, but I am NOT politically correct. Be a Chairman, a Chairperson, a Chairwoman, or a ChairAnyone . . . .

That said, it wasn't necessary to publicly impugn an individual's sexuality.

Regards,

Warren

Well this is looking like it's going in a counter productive direction. It appears we're misunderstanding each other's intentions as well as conversational tone. So rather than trying to clarify I think it best to get back on course and wait for helpful replies from Babydon. Perhaps there is yet a sunroof. We'll see.

"Burns" rubber

lol..This post has become quite entertaining.

Well, to clarify a couple things...

1) I have a sunroof...

and

2) I am a dude, guy, bloke, silverback gorilla or yeah, a male... (nick name derived from Don Juan)

As for my leak...

Nothing in the rear seat or floor.

Most of it goes to the spare tire well and the floor/carpet of my trunk is wet closer to the bumbers on either side of the well. I have stuff in the back of my trunk right up against the rear seats that are bone dry. The ceiling of the trunk is dry as well.

Still haven't had time to fully investigate as I am working around the clock ... Rained a couple times this last week so time to pull out the shop vac.

335a099287.jpg

Archived