CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oxygen sensors on a 1995 STS

lothos

The O2 sensor by the firewall has two metal heater core lines right up against it. Is there a trick to getting the O2 sensor socket down there to take it out and replace it?

Also, how many O2 sensors does my car have? I've been searching the forum for a couple hours now and can't really find an absolute answer.

Thanks for the help!

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Not so much a trick, as just a real pain to remove it. The 1993 manual wants you to lower the engine cradle to get at it better. It helped me some, but it was extremely tight, and hard to get at.

Once you can get get the special socket on it, run the car for about a minute, the try to loosen it from the warm manifold.

Be very careful when installing the new one, it can be easy to cross thread it, or break the wire connection.

There is also an O2 sensor on the front exhaust manifold.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

There is also an O2 sensor on the front exhaust manifold.

-George

Can you point me in the right direction to find that one? I haven't seen it yet.

Also, this is what I ordered from RockAuto:

ACDELCO Part # AFS73 {#25312178}

SENSOR,HTD OXY(POSN 1) IN EXH MANIFOLD/CROSSOVER

Is that the one for the rear by the firewall?

I'm not seeing an ACDelco O2 sensor for the front, but there's a Denso:

DENSO Part # 2344006

Front

Should I order that one for the front, or are they interchangable and the ACDelco one will also work for the front?

Thanks for your help!

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

Oxygen Sensor Location and Description

Bank 1 Sensor 1 - right bank (rear) manifold

Bank 1 Sensor 2 - pre-cat

Bank 1 Sensor 3 - aft-cat

Bank 2 Sensor 1 - left bank (front) manifold

Hope this helps

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Oxygen Sensor Location and Description

Bank 1 Sensor 1 - right bank (rear) manifold

Bank 1 Sensor 2 - pre-cat

Bank 1 Sensor 3 - aft-cat

Bank 2 Sensor 1 - left bank (front) manifold

Hope this helps

So the ACDelco position 1 sensor part I posted would be the rear manifold/crossover then?

I can't find a part number for the rest of the oxygen sensors. The only ACDelco part listed on rockauto.com for my car is the one I posted.

Cheers!

Yes, it appears that Position 1 in the exhaust manifold is referring to the REAR manifold

Whereas Position 2 would be the front manifold

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I fit the O2 sensor socket on the sensor, but there's no room down there to turn the ratchet. Is there such a thing as a flexible ratchet or extension that would help?

Also I'm still unable to find the front O2 sensor. Any pointers?

Cheers!

I fit the O2 sensor socket on the sensor, but there's no room down there to turn the ratchet. Is there such a thing as a flexible ratchet or extension that would help?

Also I'm still unable to find the front O2 sensor. Any pointers?

I have posted a couple of images that should help out. They are at my web storage, as they are to big to load to the forum pages.

02 Sensor Information

. Use a floor jack to support the rear of the engine cradle.

. Loosen the two rear-most bolts, and then allow the jack to SLOWLY drop. Be very careful, as the engine rotates in can hit the heater cover, and break it.

Make sure to warm the engine a bit before trying to remove the 02 sensor, It will be tight.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thanks for the link, the diagram definitely helps.

Do you know if the front sensor is the same part as the rear sensor?

Cheers!

Thanks for the link, the diagram definitely helps.

Do you know if the front sensor is the same part as the rear sensor?

The pre-catalytic converter sensors, mounted in the exhaust manifolds, are the same part.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

The pre-catalytic converter sensors, mounted in the exhaust manifolds, are the same part.

-George

Cool. Thanks for your help, the diagram was really useful. I've been checking ebay for a FSM and finally found a good priced auction to bid on, so hopefully I won't have so many basic questions :lol:

Thanks again guys.

Cheers!

• 6 months later...
george --

can you provide me the website that has the referenced diagram??

ihave the same issues in replacing the O2 sensors on the exhaust manifold.

Thks --

Sam

The link worked for me, try it again.

Jonah

Archived