CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mass air flow code P0101 along with 171 and 174

Hi all, I just read in another post about mass air flow sensor cleaner. I have been putting off fixing my misfire but now it is worse. Does anyone know where the sensor is located? A new one isn't too horribly expensive but I might clean it first. Thanks...

171 and 174? Lean. Cracked hose betwen the intake and the TBI plate is supect #1.

While the car is running, spary some carb/brake cleaner around the boot coupler inbetween the intake and the TBI 'plate'..

Well, I bought MAF cleaner and sprayed the MAF and it made it worse. Took it to the dealer today and they said they found that the plenum was bad as well as another vacuum leak. They also said they need to do a fuel system clean (the old guy that previously owned it must have not done WOT exercises). So $550 dollars later I will have a good running SLS. Now for the excessive oil leak and service stab. system problems each time I drive it...yikes, maybe a lease with a warranty isn't too bad of a deal. Any comments/feedback. I absolutely love to look at and drive my car when it is doing well. Just don't know if I am going to go broke!

171 and 174? Lean. Cracked hose betwen the intake and the TBI plate is supect #1.

While the car is running, spary some carb/brake cleaner around the boot coupler inbetween the intake and the TBI 'plate'..

DO NOT spray Carb / Brake cleaner in the intake... There is a reason why it is CARB Cleaner... The residue left behind with kill your 02 sensors. TBI cleaner and Mass air cleaner are made of a different chemical compound. Carb cleaner and MOST DEF brake cleaner are not Oxygen sensor safe.... FYI

As for the mass air sesnor yes spray it with mass air cleaner.. the sensor is screwed on to the Throttle Body. You must remove it to clean it as the front of the sensor has a screen ( which i removed for better performance and Economy ). Try that before replacing the sensor itself.

Well, I bought MAF cleaner and sprayed the MAF and it made it worse. Took it to the dealer today and they said they found that the plenum was bad as well as another vacuum leak. They also said they need to do a fuel system clean (the old guy that previously owned it must have not done WOT exercises). So $550 dollars later I will have a good running SLS. Now for the excessive oil leak and service stab. system problems each time I drive it...yikes, maybe a lease with a warranty isn't too bad of a deal. Any comments/feedback. I absolutely love to look at and drive my car when it is doing well. Just don't know if I am going to go broke!

I highly doubt your intake was bad..... It's made of government issue platic, It's possible but not likely and if it was it would cost way over $550 for a new unit. If the car ran worse after the clean you have a hint of an answer. clean it again or change it out.. look at the internal elements if there black or missing then clean if black or replace if broken. That injector cleaner is bogus... They tell that to everyone even my 43K chevy cobalt... Useless... K100-G cleaner does the trick just fine!

Hey Fivepointohman...

No reason to dis you..

Carb cleaner will not hurt O2 sensors. WD40 will.

"I highly doubt your intake was bad.."

Dont think we said the intake was bad. We mentioned the 'plenum' tube gasket was bad. Dealer found bad plenum gasket. Exactly what we suggeseted.

The intake has to come off to replace. See attached picture.

I agree. Injector cleaner is bogus.

Have seen dirty MAF wires. Alot on 3800. Qtip and rubbing alcohol works fine.

This fix could have been done for way less then $550. That actual rubber tube is about $25. Dry intake. It comes right off.

post-2-1207025032_thumb.jpg

"Most" of the time, the manifold IS refered to as the plenum, but on the 2000+ Northstars there is a rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold that is called the plenum.

Well my problem is fixed $627 later! My intake had to be pulled to replace the plenum. They also found another vacuum hose that had a crack. They also did a fuel system clean. This was an authorized Cadillac dealer so I bet they charged more. Man does my car purr now though. My MPG has shot up even driving in the city.

Man did I really miss my car as I was driving the Mazda 3 rental car...talk about cheap!!!

I don't believe that the MAF sensor is mounted on the TB on his year. It is on the '96.

No, it was right after the air cleaner box. Didn't seem very dirty at all. So you can take these things off? Wouldn't it set off another code?

Well my problem is fixed $627 later!

Sad news to me..I think most here could swap out a Nothstar intake pretty quick.

Maybe 1-2 hour job. Dry intake. Not really that bad to do..

The actual tube is maybe $30.

Fuel injection cleaner? Thats's your call. Not needed.

Oh well..

I don't believe that the MAF sensor is mounted on the TB on his year. It is on the '96.

No, it was right after the air cleaner box. Didn't seem very dirty at all. So you can take these things off? Wouldn't it set off another code?

NO. Do not remove it. Why would you want to do that? It was put there for a reason. You'll create even more problems.

Archived