CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

changing fuel filter on 2005 deville

migot

My stepfather has a 2005 caddy deville with a 4.6 L engine. Under the driver's side towards the rear is a fuel filter (contrary to what the caddy service advisor told me- said it had none). One of the ports of the filter is threaded, so I can get a flare nut wrench on it. The other end is a plastic fitting. I looked at the Purolator fuel filter I got from Advance, and it has a captive piece of plastic retainer on it. My question is : 1)Do I need a special tool to disengage this plastic fitting on the fuel filter? Or do I just squeeze the two parts of plastic inwards on the plastic part on the fuel filter? The part that comes in from the fuel line is a female coupling and looks like it snaps onto the two male parts of the captive plastic fitting.

2)how to relieve fuel pressure on this vehicle? Can I just pull the fuel pump fuse and let it run out of gas? How do you guys usually do it? I've got cancer and want to help out my stepdad one last time with some maintenance on his caddy. After this, I probably won't have the energy to do anything else, so buying a service manual I will never use seems like a waste of money.

Thanks, Michael

Yep. Pull the fuse and run the engine to stall. The factory recommended procedure is to install a pressure gauge and purge line to the fuel pressure valve under the "beauty cover" to drain pressure. Up to you. A bucket, some rags and a fire extinguisher should be at hand.

FROM YOUR 2005 FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL:

Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Plastic Collar)

Removal Procedure:

Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure .

Caution

Wear safety glasses when using compressed air in order to prevent eye injury.

Blow dirt out of the fitting using compressed air.

Squeeze the plastic tabs of the male end connector.

Pull the connection apart.

Notice

Use an emery cloth in order to remove rust or burrs from the fuel pipe. Use a radial motion with the fuel pipe end in order to prevent damage to the O-ring sealing surface.

Wipe off the male pipe end using a clean shop towel.

Inspect both ends of the fitting for dirt and burrs.

Clean or replace the components as required.

Installation Procedure

Caution

In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury, before connecting fuel pipe fittings, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends.

This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak.

During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.

Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe end.

Push both sides of the quick-connect fitting together in order to cause the retaining tabs/fingers to snap into place.

Pull on both sides of the quick connect fitting in order to make sure the connection is secure.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

My stepfather has a 2005 caddy deville with a 4.6 L engine. Under the driver's side towards the rear is a fuel filter (contrary to what the caddy service advisor told me- said it had none). One of the ports of the filter is threaded, so I can get a flare nut wrench on it. The other end is a plastic fitting. I looked at the Purolator fuel filter I got from Advance, and it has a captive piece of plastic retainer on it. My question is : 1)Do I need a special tool to disengage this plastic fitting on the fuel filter? Or do I just squeeze the two parts of plastic inwards on the plastic part on the fuel filter? The part that comes in from the fuel line is a female coupling and looks like it snaps onto the two male parts of the captive plastic fitting.

2)how to relieve fuel pressure on this vehicle? Can I just pull the fuel pump fuse and let it run out of gas? How do you guys usually do it? I've got cancer and want to help out my stepdad one last time with some maintenance on his caddy. After this, I probably won't have the energy to do anything else, so buying a service manual I will never use seems like a waste of money.

Thanks, Michael

Why are you replacing the fuel filter? Unless you picked up a really bad load of gas, they are sized adequately for just about the life of the vehicle. I don't even think the fuel filter is even listed in the recommended maintenance items...

Use a fuel pressure gage to bleed off the fuel at the fuel rail. If the vehicle has been sitting for a few hours, there probably won't be much pressure (if any) in the system. Before disconnecting the quick disconnect fittings, rotate them 1/4 turn in each direction and blow them off with compressed air.

Usually, there are tabs that you squeeze that will dislodge the filter connection. Other times, you need the fuel line disconnect tools to dislodge the barbs on the fittings. You'll need to examine the fitting.

When reassembling the system, lube the male portion of the fuel line that inserts into the plastis quick connect fitting with clean engine oil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks, Michael

Why are you replacing the fuel filter? Unless you picked up a really bad load of gas, they are sized adequately for just about the life of the vehicle. I don't even think the fuel filter is even listed in the recommended maintenance items...

Use a fuel pressure gage to bleed off the fuel at the fuel rail. If the vehicle has been sitting for a few hours, there probably won't be much pressure (if any) in the system. Before disconnecting the quick disconnect fittings, rotate them 1/4 turn in each direction and blow them off with compressed air.

Usually, there are tabs that you squeeze that will dislodge the filter connection. Other times, you need the fuel line disconnect tools to dislodge the barbs on the fittings. You'll need to examine the fitting.

When reassembling the system, lube the male portion of the fuel line that inserts into the plastis quick connect fitting with clean engine oil.

Thanks Warren for the tips on changing the filter.

Kevin: When I called on what a 30K service cost and what they replaced, they told me that there was no fuel filter. They also wanted like $450 to clean the injectors and a few other things. When I questioned the service advisor on the need to clean injectors with today's modern fuels, he just said it was recommended. I have always thought that the majority of fuel filters should be replaced at 30K. A majority of car manuals specify this (except the caddy owners manual where it isn't even listed!) In fact this caddy filter I picked up made by Purolator is a little on the small side ($8.50). My brother's 2005 Ranger fuel filter is twice as big and only has a 3.0L V-6. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, so I will use the old fuel pump fuse trick. Hopefully, I don't need a special tool, I can just pinch those 2 male plastic barbs on the filter end together, and the fuel line with the female end and female protrusions will pull away.

1)What mileage would you suggest that the fuel filter be changed at?

Thanks, michael

....When I called on what a 30K service cost and what they replaced, they told me that there was no fuel filter. They also wanted like $450 to clean the injectors and a few other things. When I questioned the service advisor on the need to clean injectors with today's modern fuels, he just said it was recommended.
Dealer recommended is different from Cadillac recommended.

I have always thought that the majority of fuel filters should be replaced at 30K. A majority of car manuals specify this (except the caddy owners manual where it isn't even listed!)
It is not in the Caddy Owner's Manual because Cadillac does not recommend scheduled replacement. Your dealer, on the other hand sees an opportunity to replace a part that is not broken.

1)What mileage would you suggest that the fuel filter be changed at?
Based on my 10 year, 170,000 mile, 8,100 gallons of fuel experience, it's not something you have to make a high priority. My factory installed fuel filter is still delivering fuel the engine is happy to burn.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the fuel filter on my 1995 STS at 150k miles. The plastic tabs simply pinch together and the connector pulls loose from the line. Didn't need a special tool at all. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and let the car die first.

Not sure if your filter is the same, mine was inside a black plastic holder that had a ground on it. Took a little bit of tinkering but I was able to push in the metal tabs and slide the old filter out and slide the new one in and bolt the black plastic sleeve back up to the body.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived