CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dissatisfaction with Dealer

kenphy

I have leased 7 successive GM cars, gradually moving up over these past now 19 years (first 16 on Chevys, Buicks, etc.) then I leased a 2004 CTS and loved everything about it -- it was a great car, great lease, great service, everything (except maybe the service charges for an oil change -- well over $100 were appalling to me). Then, just over a year ago, that car's lease was over, and a new 2007 was in my future. Since no one from the dealer called me by three months before it was over, I called them. I said, "I want another CTS, just a different color, but with everything else the same -- same engine, same 36 month lease, same 12,000 miles per year, same no down payment, same everything. Just tell me what it will cost, what colors you have available, and I will come in and sign." NOTE: all my leases were with GMAC, not one payment a minute late, no accidents, etc. I had no intention of negotiating a better price, as I determined that from 6 previous leases, they had me pretty well figured out. Unfortunately, since my old sales person was gone from the dealership (after 17 years -- I should have known that meant trouble). They told me: I should have called earlier, they could have gotten me out of the lease sooner (Me: the bad guy), and they had two colors on the lot, at $25/mo less, so come on over. Checked their inventory on line, no CTS in stock with my engine size, so I drove in, asked about that, and they asked why I thought I could get the same engine at the reduced price (Me: the bad guy). I repeated what I wanted, drove off with old car, and told them when they could get me what I wanted, just to let me know the price, and I would sign. Next call from them (next day) they had the engine, in one color, come on in and sign and drive away. When I got there, the disclosure (now $20 less -- again, I should have known) said only 10,000 miles a year, and now 39 months. WAS ANYONE LISTENING TO ME? So, when I said no deal, they said they would fix the lease to 12,000, but I had to give them something, so it would be 39 months. And (dumb me) I signed the lease -- without reading it carefully, and yes, it is 10,000 miles and 39 months. I was furious (probably more so with myself) but I cannot figure out why it is that car dealers have to be so deceptive. I kept telling them I wanted everything the same, that price wasn't the issue, that they didn't have to "sell" me. I vowed when I read the contract later that I would never so back there. However, at 15 months old, the recall came and there is no other dealer in Charlotte, NC, so I had to take it back to them for the recall. They did fix the recall issue and called me to say I had to have the 15,000 mile check up. I assured them that the oil change and tire rotation and any other necessary work would be done (elsewhere) and came home to re-read the manual. There IS NO 15,000 mile check up! So, Arnold Palmer, you not only have my total loss of satisfaction, I think you are deceptive, liars, cheats and I will never (not even if there is another recall) come back to you. I hope this note sufficiently ensures that no one else would either. I defy your dealership to dispute any fact here.Arnold Palmer Cadillac

I understand your frustration over the deceptive and downright dishonest salesmanship. However, this is a classic case of "buyer (in this case, lessee) be ware." I never sign anything without reading it first and I don't care if anyone gets offended--too bad! I always make sure I know the contract inside and out so no one can pull the wool over my eyes.

You could always file a complaint with whomever is the owner, including Arnold Palmer if he has an ownership interest in the dealership--since his name is on the sign he might be the one to contact if all else fails. If there is anything he can do, he might be willing to make a phone call. If you're that dissatisfied then find out who may be in a position to do something about it.

This is really not a complaint board/site. We are not here facilitate the voicing of your unhappiness with GM/Cadillac/Dealer or for you to write an open letter to Arnold Palmer Cadillac. First, that the new lease was $20 rather than the $25 less than you were quoted over the phone is insignificant, don't you think?

I just looked at the 2005 CTS (didnt have 2007) maintenance schedule, and it appears that the first service is due at 25,000 miles but there is a Maintenance 1, see attached photo, and MAYBE that is what they were speaking about, CALLING it the 15K service because you HAD 15K miles. Its possible the service writer was careless and called it the 15K service.

You would be more productive if you raised your complaint to a regional manager. Keep in mind that YOU did admit that you did not read the contract and in effect snagged yourself. It does NOT sound like they treated you as a LONG TERM customer, that has given them years of service and they messed up the annual mileage and I can feel you are offended by that. If nothing else, this is a good reason to develop salesman relationships/contacts. Did they drop the ball? or did you drop the ball by not reading the contract, causing a loss of 6,000 miles over a 36 month lease. It sounds like the dealer did not listen to you or understand that your PRIOR lease was 12K, but by trusting that they got it right and just signing it, did not help your situation. This could have been a mistake on their part that your review would have picked up, now that you SIGNED it, they really don't need to or can't easily remedy the situation, and you have NO leverage other than the course you have outlined. How does that saying go, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me? I am surprised that the lease terms were not outlined to you before you were delivered the car. How did you sign without reading it?

GM and Cadillac NEEDS to hear about these types of things in order to ROOT OUT bad dealers and questionable customer service. It is entirely possible that they made a mistake. This is not the place to air your frustration however, I would raise the issue up the dealer's chain of command. Good Luck

This is out of the 2005 CTS owner's manual. Click where indicated to enlarge the photo.

MaintSchedule2005CTS.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You should hire an attorney if you can document you have been "damaged".

Otherwise, your public accusations now have 'admissable evidence' status and you have opened up a whole other Pandora's box of possibilities for the Dealer's attornies.

Your point is ???? (other then bad-mouthing a specific dealer regarding a contract that YOU signed).

Cheers.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

READ THE MAINTENANCE 1 STATEMENT CAREFULLY

Maintenance1.jpg

Since you spoke about YOU changing the oil they DID in fact refer to the MAINTENANCE 1 as the 15,000 MILE SERVICE... See the MAINTENANCE 1 Scheduled events

MaintSchedule2005CTS2.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

First you should call the Sales person you dealt with and make sure that they understand that you did not get what you wanted. I know this seems VERY obvious, but it does sound as if they were not paying attention to any of the things you communicated. After they deny any ability to solve the situation, I would ask to speak to successive levels of supervision, up to the manager/owner. You can call Cadillac but they will tell you that Dealers are independent agencies, and then they will call the dealer and ask them to call you. Because of the financials involved though I think the dealer you leased from will have to be involved in any equitable solution.

The classic answer to your subject question though is file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and if you have a local news station or news paper that does consumer investigations ask them to look in to your situation.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

First you should call the Sales person you dealt with and make sure that they understand that you did not get what you wanted. I know this seems VERY obvious, but it does sound as if they were not paying attention to any of the things you communicated. After they deny any ability to solve the situation, I would ask to speak to successive levels of supervision, up to the manager/owner. You can call Cadillac but they will tell you that Dealers are independent agencies, and then they will call the dealer and ask them to call you. Because of the financials involved though I think the dealer you leased from will have to be involved in any equitable solution.

The classic answer to your subject question though is file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and if you have a local news station or news paper that does consumer investigations ask them to look in to your situation.

I agree. It may simply be a situation where the salesman didn't understand what you wanted or someone dropped the ball and didn't change the leasing agreement as you requested. I would first find out why the lease was not changed to reflect your wishes. Also, explain that you trusted the salesperson to make the changes that you requested and if such changes were not possible, than you should have been told. But if you honestly believe that you were deliberately duped into signing a lease that you did not want to sign, then I would go up the ladder and explain the situation and see if the lease can be changed.

Archived