CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cleaning EGR?

I have been reading posts about cleaning the EGR tubes and what not. Is this really needed? I noticed that the EGR seems alot different compared to any other car I have seen. This must have something to do with the smog pump. What will I gain if I clean the EGR vavle and tubes? I have an 89 SeVille and I don't think this has ever been does. Really I just want to know if I should do this and what is the point? Thanks!

you obviously do not need to clean EGR related parts if DIC does not show any EGR related codes and Service Engine Soon light does not come up.

I hav ecurrent code and light but since they rather affect a little bit the emission than the performanace I just ignore them.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The '89 Seville had the 4.5 with throttle body injection. I don't think the EGR tubes on the TBI engines were suseptable to clogging up as on the multiport injected engines from 1990-1995.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Actaully.....the EGR (or lack there-of...) WILL affect the driveability and fuel economy of your car. With the EGR flow blocked by the plugged EGR tubes the engine will run lean and have a strong tendency to detonate (ping, spark knock) so it is advisable to clean the EGR tubes out.....

Guru, I agree with you (as always :D ) but throatle and tubes are fine I have checked them out with a flushlight. Nevertheless still get the current code and SES light. I monitor fuel economy religiously since I consider it as one of the best indicators of car's condition. I have decided to do nothing about the code following the DTUTTY (Do Not Trouble Trouble Until Trouble Troubles You!) :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived