CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'01 STS Uneven Front Brake Pad Wear

CadiKing

Hello Eveyone,

Son's 2001 STS gave him replace brake pads message.

What he found was, the inside pads are worn MUCH more than the outer pads.

Looking at GM Parts Direct, it is difficult to find all the required parts.

I read here in the past, if the pads wear on an angle, replace the rubber

inserts where the pins ride. ( Probably should replace the rubber bushings as a matter of coarse?)

What would cause the brake pads to wear unevenly? From the look of the caliper, the pins

are totally sealed in the caliper.. Would worn bushings cause the inner pad to wear prematurely?

Is it possible there are bent pins?

What is the stock type of pad provided? He is trying to buy GM parts only, but Rock Auto offers

a few different pads. Are teh stock pads Semi Matallic? I cannot imagine the pads are ceramic.

Any comments would be appreciated..

thanks

jim

Based on your description of the wear, I would guess that the caliper is not floating on the pins.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Based on your description of the wear, I would guess that the caliper is not floating on the pins.

Kevin,

I don't think there are too many vaiables involved in the caliper floating.

I plan to have my son clean out the holes and change out the rubber bushings.

There is a caliper overhaul kit available through GM Parts Direct for ~$10.00.

Do you know if that kit would contain the caliper piston seals AND the rubber bushings?

Would there be any other parts to consider?

Do you think I should order pins as well?

Do you know how much fluid it takes to flush the brake system?

Is it worth ordering GM brake fluid online, or use a name brand Dot 3?

Thanks

jim

I would inspect it and see what you need. Might need nothing more than regreasing the pins.

Be sure to buy the GM "Brake Kit". It will include the sensors. I have a set on my shelf for my daughters '02, but she is selling it so I doubt I'll need it. Might be able to save you a few bucks.

Last time I bled the brakes I think it only took one can of fluid.

Any brand DOT 3 will be fine.

Ranger (and anyone else who can help)

This is CadiKing's son...is this "Brake Kit" something in addition to the set of pads...do the sensors come as a seperate backing plate from the pads or are they attached to the back of the brake pad? I'm sorry but I dont have ability to tear everything apart at the time, due to time constaints and location.

You wouldn't happen to have the part number for these parts? (pads, brake kit, etc)...anything would be helpful.

My problem is I am trying to order the parts online...but all of the sites are rather "sketchy" when it comes to what the part description actually is...and they won't give you a part number unless you search with a part number. :angry:

I know all four corners were done before I bought the car...less than 8,000 miles ago...and all new caddy rotors and pads were put on.

I would rather just spend the money I save from ordering online and replace the rubber bushings and the pins that the calipers ride on and be sure I wont have this problem again.

The car has 109,000 on it and it stops better than any car I have ever driven (other than previous STS's) and I dont want to chance messing this up to save a few bucks.

If anyone out there happens to keep record of part numbers, I am looking for front pads (semi-metalics), caliper bushings and pins, and possibly GM grease for the pins for a 2001 STS.

On that note, does anyone think should I worry about using GM grease or just use the standard "sil-glide" lube?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I will probably end up ordering parts in the next day or two (Wednesday or Thursday) as my inside pads probably have less than .100" of pad material left before metal on metal, and I would like to keep the rotors I have on it.

Thanks for anyones help, :D

Jonah

Jonah

....do the sensors come as a seperate backing plate from the pads or are they attached to the back of the brake pad?
You can buy the pads only and you can buy the sensors only from both a Cadillac parts counter or ACDelco. Or, you can buy a brake pad "kit" which is the pads + the sensors in one box. Aftermarket suppliers will not have the sensors available.

My problem is I am trying to order the parts online...but all of the sites are rather "sketchy" when it comes to what the part description actually is...and they won't give you a part number unless you search with a part number. :angry:
Talk to a person with a pulse. Order your parts from

Brasington Cadillac-Saab

Parts Department

2001 N.W. 13th St.

Gainesville, FL 32601

Bill, Marty, Chris (and possibly others)

352-378-5301

800-535-4608

Have your VIN available.

Mention that you are asking for web-sales price quotes for out-of-state shipment (if you live outside of Florida. Sales tax is the issue).

I know all four corners were done before I bought the car...less than 8,000 miles ago...and all new caddy rotors and pads were put on.

I would rather just spend the money I save from ordering online and replace the rubber bushings and the pins that the calipers ride on and be sure I wont have this problem again.

Something smells here.

The caliper pins can oxidize-corrode and that will lead to caliper sticking and rapid pad wear. Cleaning the pins and lubricating with the proper grease will eliminate this.

The caliper pins can also be bent. But the force required to bend a caliper pin is tremendous. Bent pins are rare.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

From http://www.rockauto.com

ACDELCO Part # 17D753M More Info {RIVETED #18039352}

PAD KIT,FRT DISC BRK DURASTOP SEMI MET

The sensors are just a wire in a plastic plug that attaches to a notch in the pad. It is sacrificial as the pad wears. it will become self explanatory once you see it.

Thanks guys...

Thanks Jim D... I have been trying to find that florida dealership all day... I couldnt remember the name.

I will call them in the morning and try to get the correct parts.

Thanks for your help too ranger... I found that same thing at Rockauto...but when I put the part number 18039352 into gmpartsdirect.com it gives me a different pad (different price....cheaper) than if I go through the online catalog and look it up for the specific car and year....this is why I was so nervous about ordering the parts...I didnt want to end up with pads with no sensor.

I will call Brasington in the morning and see what they can do for me.

I think I will order the bushings...but not the pins...and if the pins look bent when I pull everything apart I can always get a new set and rip everything apart again...atleast I'll be working on a caddy. :D

Thanks again for all the help guys,

Jonah

Jonah

I found that same thing at Rockauto...but when I put the part number 18039352 into gmpartsdirect.com it gives me a different pad (different price....cheaper) than if I go through the online catalog and look it up for the specific car and year.

Always compare prices WITH shipping. Some places have low prices with high shipping to entice you to buy from them. In the end they are (usually) very close.

Several (many) years ago, I thought I had a similar caliper bushing or pin problem on the front of my '98.

What I did was bolt and torque both front calipers to the hubs without the rotor. That allowed me to determine-confirm the calipers were free to float as designed. I was able to move the calipers laterally with little effort. The caliper pins-bushings were not the problem.

Bottom line for you is, my front brake parts are all factory installed pieces other than the pads.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

What I did was bolt and torque both front calipers to the hubs without the rotor. That allowed me to determine-confirm the calipers were free to float as designed. I was able to move the calipers laterally with little effort. The caliper pins-bushings were not the problem.

Jim,

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? or did you just replace the pads and didnt have the problem again?

I have to imagine something would need done in this situation to fix the problem....the outside pads are literally like new.

I have a few hours between classes in the afternoon tomorrow and I may be able to try your suggestion.

Unfortunately, it was 50 F outside today and it is only subposed to be about 20 tomorrow. :wipetears

Luckily I love the cold for some reason....thanks dad for always having the moon roof open and windows down ;)

If I pull everything apart I will try to take a picture or two to show the pad wear.

Thanks,

Jonah

PS...Ranger...I did compare with shipping...and it was quite a bit different...I am going to Brasington so I know I have the correct parts...I dont have time to do this twice...Ive still got a motor mount to do that Ive been putting off. :wipetears

Jonah

Kevin,

I don't think there are too many vaiables involved in the caliper floating.

I plan to have my son clean out the holes and change out the rubber bushings.

There is a caliper overhaul kit available through GM Parts Direct for ~$10.00.

Do you know if that kit would contain the caliper piston seals AND the rubber bushings?

Would there be any other parts to consider?

Do you think I should order pins as well?

Do you know how much fluid it takes to flush the brake system?

Is it worth ordering GM brake fluid online, or use a name brand Dot 3?

Thanks

jim

I think the Sil Glyde is a silicone grease which should be fine for lubing the pins - be sure that it is a silicone grease - petroleum grease will damage the o-rings, rubber parts.

There is an overhaul kit but that involves removing the piston, replacing the seals, etc. I don't think that procedure will correct the problem based on your description. If the car was pulling toward one direction when the brakes were applied, then I'd suspect a siezed caliper piston. In your case, It is probably just the calipers not floating on the pins.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived